Monday, July 6, 2009

Phenomenal Fishing and Weather at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!!!!

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. We had a phenomenal weekend of fishing and weather up on Lake of the Woods and I hope everyone was as lucky as us. This past weekend, 4th of July weekend, the Wigwam Resort had the pleasure of catering to some great guests, two groups in particular, Andy and Sara Collova of Hugo, MN, and Tony Capra’s Group, consisting of Tony, Tony, Deborah, Bre and Ashley (aka Fuzz). I would like to personally thank both groups for coming up and visiting us on Lake of the Woods and I hope all their expectations where exceeded on this trip. I will tell a little story on both later on in the blog.

Beach Bash is almost upon us again…wow, it has come quick…if you’ve never experienced Beach Bash, and this is the year to do it! It will be the 18th Annual Beach Bash and we are completely packed, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t still come. We will be offering free camping on Saturday July 18th to make sure that people aren’t drinking and driving…please take advantage of it. For a complete list of details and times on the Beach Bash at the Wigwam Resort checkout the flyer that we posted on our website at http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/.

As I alluded to earlier I wanted to share a little bit about the two groups I mentioned in the first paragraph, so here we go. First, Andy and Sara Collova of Hugo, MN…I had the pleasure of taking them fishing on the 4th and we all had a blast. Sometimes I feel bad because I have more fun than the people I take fishing, but this time I think they had just as much fun as I did. We were able to catch some nice fish, a few 24” Walleyes, a hole bunch of 14” to 19” Walleyes and Saugers, and Andy caught the biggest perch I have ever seen in person, it was a monster! Sara was able to bring in the first few fish of the day and then steadily put a clinic on for Andy and myself throughout the day. On top of it, I think that she must have missed or lost another 10. She is one heck of a fisherwoman and I think her and Andy will have plenty more fishing trips as the years pass…I hope you guys enjoy them all and I hope to see you back here soon. It was my pleasure to meet both of you and I wanted to personally thank you both for making July 4th, 2009 a very memorable day for me…thank you!

The next group, the Tony Capra Group from Blaine, MN (Tony, Tony, Deborah, Bre and Ashley (aka Fuzz) had three days of fishing with the Wigwam Resort’s own Tom Briggs. I know I always say that Tom Briggs will put you on the fish, because it’s true…he always finds them out there, even when everyone else can’t. Simple as this…Tom Briggs puts you on the Fish. Throughout the entire weekend they caught a number of big fish, as Tony says, “Tournament Fish”, but none as big as the fish that Bre caught on July 4th, 2009 at about 12 pm.

We were all fishing up by Rooty Point, just west of Garden Island, when Bre hooked a huge Sturgeon that took her over an hour and a half to get in the boat. The reason I wanted to talk about this is because the night before she couldn’t stop talking about catching a Sturgeon…that’s all she wanted to do. By going up to Rooty Point her chances of catching one were slim to none, especially since they were rigged and fishing for Walleyes. Right about 12 pm July 4th, 2009 Bre got a bit and set the hook, she had no idea what she had, but she knew it was big. As she reeled her heart out we all got a look at what was on the other end of the line and it took us all by surprise…a gigantic prehistoric monster aka Sturgeon. As it rose for the first time it completely jumped out of the water and every boat in the area took notice…it was exciting to see. As she brought it up the second time Tom Briggs tried to scoop it up with the net and it just wouldn’t fit, but she didn’t loose it and that was about an hour into her fight. Just over another half an hour later she was able to bring it up for the third time and as the old saying goes, the third time was the charm. Tom was able to scoop up the Sturgeon, with a couple tries and lift the over 80 pound Sturgeon into the boat…what a sight! I was taking pictures form my boat and Tony’s crew was taking pictures in their boat…it was the biggest Sturgeon I have seen in person with my own two eyes. Then it seemed as soon as it was in the boat, the pictures were taken and the beast was set free to grow some more…what a day and what a fight. I know Bre will remember that for the rest of her life…this is what memories are truly made of and she was able to be around family and friends...that’s awesome!

Tom, I and the rest of the Wigwam Crew would like to personally thank Andy, Sara, Tony, Tony, Deborah, Bre and Ashley for letting us participate in their great fishing memories at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods. At the Wigwam Resort we talk about creating your own “Fishing Tales” and that’s exactly what Bre was able to do…once again, that’s awesome and WHAT A FISH!!!!

Daily Fishing Report: Tonight will be mainly clear with a low around 50F with winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow will be generally sunny despite a few afternoon clouds, high 74F with winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow night will be partly cloudy, low 52F with winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Today’s fishing report will come from me personally and our guides (Tom Briggs and Billy Kloos). Out in front of Morris Point in the washout and on the west side of Pine Island you will catch fish, either by anchoring and jigging with frozen shiners, or by trolling with hammered gold spinners and crawlers. I was able to catch fish doing both, and not just one or two…I must have caught 35 my self…I was in and out of the live well all night. Tom, Billy and I headed up to Rooty Point over the 4th and did very well; we were in 27 to 30 feet of water. We were anchored and jigging with Pink/Gold, Chartreuse/Orange and Chartreuse/Pink Jigs with frozen shiners as bait. We also stopped out about 10 miles from Long Point in the mud and were fishing in 36 feet of water and doing well also…we were using the same lures and bait as we were up at Rooty Point. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods…come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Today I wanted to use my “Shout Out” again to let people know that the Ice Fishing season is approaching and we are starting to already fill up. If you’re interested in coming to the Wigwam Resort this winter, don’t wait any longer to book your trip…DO IT TODAY! I look forward to seeing each and every one of you this winter.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment