Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lake of the Woods is Truly the Walleye Capitol of the World

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend and got to enjoy the great weather we had this weekend (minus some of the high winds). On Sunday I had the opportunity to take out some great visitors to Lake of the Woods and show them what Lake of the Woods fishing is all about. My visitors were Steve Van Alstine, Irene Shingobe (both of Maplegrove, MN) and Ladon Morsching of Mankato, MN. We had a little rough ride, to and from, Little Oak and Garden in my 19’ Lund, but when we got there the trip was all worth it…we got on the fish and a lot of them. At one point in the day we had four people in the boat and all four people had fish on…it was awesome. The fish that we were catching weren’t monsters, but we were catching fish in the slot. The biggest fish caught was a 22 inch Walleye that put up a great fight for one of my guests, Ladon Morsching of Mankato, MN. We must have caught over 50 fish in a 2 ½ hour period. The fishing on Lake of the Woods doesn’t disappoint.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to go with my Mother, Brother and Nephew to my Uncle Lee and Auntie Janice Tessier’s 50th Wedding Anniversary in Winton, MN (5 miles east of Ely, MN). We were only able to stay 5 hours, but in those 5 hours the stories were flying and I enjoyed hearing every one of them from my relatives. I was able to share a few stories of my own and they all involved fishing from this summer on Lake of the Woods. I can’t wait to take my Uncles (Lee and Eugene) fishing up here on Lake of the Woods in a couple weeks…I’m sure the stories will be flying from the time the boat leaves the dock till the time we return…I love hearing them all! My Uncles come from a big family and grew up on a farm just south of International Falls, MN in the 40’s and 50’s, so you can imagine the stories that I hear.

When I was growing up in International Falls, I remember vividly my father, grandfather and all my uncles sitting around the dinning room table at my Grandma and Grandpa’s house playing their favorite card game (Smear) and telling stories of when they grew up on the farm. I was like a fly on the wall taking it all in with a grin on my face from ear to ear. Every time I’m with them I always ask the same questions and want to re-hear the same stories time after time. I hope they don’t get tired of telling them. If there anything like me, and I think they are, I don’t think they will get tired of telling them, at least I hope…haha.

Once again, before I go into the fishing report, I just wanted to take a second and go over all the different species of fish that we have caught this year in Lake of the Woods. I know that we are known to be the Walleye Capitol of the World, here in Baudette, MN on Lake of the Woods, but we have many different species of fish that are being caught out of Lake of the Woods that should get there day in the lime light. We have caught Monster Lake Trout, Musky, Northern Pike, Perch, Sauger, Small Mouth Bass, Sturgeon and Walleye this summer. So if you’re looking to be put on some different species of fish this summer other than Walleye, don’t hesitate to give us a call at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods and let us, PUT YOU ON THE FISH!!!!

Daily Fishing Report: Today will be cloudy with a few showers, high 66F with winds NW at 10 to 20 mph…there will be a 30% chance of rain. Tonight we will see a shower or two around the area early, then partly cloudy overnight, low 51F with winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 30% chance of rain. Tomorrow we will have intervals of clouds and sunshine, high around 65F with winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow night we should see partly cloudy skies early followed by mostly cloudy skies and a few showers later at night, low 51F with winds NW at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 30% chance of rain. Again today’s fishing report will come from me and our guides (Tom Briggs, Billy Kloos and Kevin Olmstead). On Sunday I had the opportunity of fishing the northwest tip of Little Oak Island and the southwest side of Garden Island and they both didn’t disappoint. When fishing on the northwest tip of Little Oak, we were catching fish in 18 to 22 feet of water and we were using hammered gold spinners with crawlers as bait. When we were fishing the southwest side of Garden we were fishing in 8 to 12 feet of water and also using hammered gold spinners with crawlers as bait. At one point I was holding two fish in both hands trying to get them in the live well while one of my companions was netting another. We had a blast and I would highly recommend those areas, if you can get there. In the same vicinity (southwest side of Garden Island), Billy and Kevin were also having great success, but in 18 feet of water…they were using hammered gold spinners with crawlers also. This past Sunday we had the fish fly hatch on this side of Lake of the Woods and they are all over the place, which isn’t the best thing for fishing, but we always have the north end of the lake (Little Oak Island & Garden Island) to keep the great fishing going on Lake of the Woods. We are currently facing some high winds the next few days so crossing the lake might be a little tough. So, Morris Point in front of the washout and the west side of Pine Island the fish are still biting…I don’t know if it’s still crazy over there or not, but we have been having a good WNW wind, which should be stacking the fish up on Pine Island. As soon as the wind dissipates…I think that might be a good place to wet the line…if you’re picking up what I’m putting down. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods…come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Today my “shout out” will go out to Steve Van Alstine, Irene Shingobe and Ladon Morsching. These are some guests that I had the opportunity to take fishing on Sunday and I just wanted to personally thank each of them for letting myself and the Wigwam Resort take them fishing. Steve and Irene are from the Maplegrove, MN area and Ladon is from the Mankato, MN area. Steve and Ladon are working up here for the next few weeks doing some bridge repairs on a bridge on Hwy 11 going towards International Falls. They have been putting in the hours at work and needed a little relaxing break…I hope that I was able to show you guys exactly what you needed. I again want to thank all three of you for going fishing with me and I can’t wait till next time.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment