Friday, June 26, 2009

Fathers Have Life Lessons to Give Through Fishing...At Least Mine Did

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. Well I know that I’ve said this about a thousand times already, but when it fits you’ve got to say it, and it fits…the fishing on Lake of the Woods is absolutely PHENOMENAL!!!! I just went out this morning by myself and caught over 50 Walleyes. Be sure to checkout the Daily Fishing Report to catch, where I was at, and what I was using…catching fish on Lake of the Woods is so much fun…I LOVE IT!!!!

Yesterday I had the pleasure of hanging out with my Mother…she was telling me how much she enjoyed reading my blog…thank you Mother. She said, it made her laugh and cry all at the same…now when she cried it was only because of the fact that she misses all the fun we used to have together as a family, and since the passing of my Father, we don’t get the opportunity to do those things as a family anymore…don’t worry Mom…I believe we all feel the same. On a happier note, my Mom did tell me of one story that I must share with you today. I had totally forgotten about this one, because it wasn’t one of my better moments, but looking back at it now, it’s pretty funny. I just have to say…Kids, don’t do this!

It was the start of a summer fishing season in the early 80’s and I thought that I was ready to graduate to a “Grown Up” rod and reel, from the youth rod and reel I was sporting for the past few years. I had told my Father that I wanted a new rod and reel for about 6 months prior to going out with friends that morning, and my Father told me, “we will get a new pole next year”…I was having nothing to do with that…I wanted a new rod and reel, and I wanted it now! I had proven myself as a very good young fisherman and I wanted to be equipped that way, but as we all find out sooner than later, fathers always know best. What proceeded next I’m not too proud of, but it was a life learning lesson and I took it. We were fishing with Mr. and Mrs. Crew (Terry & Nancy) from International Falls, MN and once again that morning I asked my Father for a new rod and reel and once again he denied me. We had been fishing for about 30 minutes when I got the bright idea that if I didn’t have a rod and reel that my Father would have to get me a new one, so I went to cast my line and “accidentally” let go of my rod and it went for a swim. Things didn’t play out the way I would have hoped, and this is where I got my life lesson. My Father looked at me and said, “well it looks like you didn’t want to fish today or this summer…take a seat”. My Father wasn’t too happy and thank God he didn’t keep me from fishing all summer, but for a while and I paid dearly for it. The lesson that I learned that day was it doesn’t matter what you’re fishing with as long as you get to fish! To say the least, it wasn’t a fun day of sitting in the boat without fishing…I wish I could take it back. Kids, don’t make the same mistake that I did…listen to your parents…they do know best!

Daily Fishing Report: Today we will have mix of clouds and sun, high 83F with winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Tonight we will have scattered thunderstorms, especially late, low 63F with winds SSE at 15 to 25 mph…there will be a 60% chance of rain. Tomorrow will be windy with showers and thundershowers likely, high 67F with S winds shifting to W at 20 to 30 mph…there will be another 60% chance of rain. Tomorrow night will be windy with rain showers in the evening becoming less numerous overnight, low 56F with winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph…there will be a 50% chance of rain. Sunday we will have a few showers possible, windy, highs in the upper 60s and lows in the low 50s. Today’s fishing report will come from a few different sources (our guides, guests and I). We all have been having my success out about 5 miles from Morris Gap in about 32 - 34 feet of water. We have been anchoring and jigging with frozen shiners. Another place where our guests are having some success is a little boat ride away, but they have been slamming them up there…Little Oak Island. I just went out this morning and in a 3 hour period, by myself, I was able to catch over 40 Walleyes. I was trolling spinners on the west side of Pine Island, using hammered gold spinners, using crawlers. Graceton Reef may be another spot to keep on your radar. I have been having some good success trolling and jigging with Pink and Gold Jigs with frozen emerald shiners as bait. We need the sun to warm up the rocks a bit more, but it’s still fishing well. Just a little FYI – Graceton Reef will be good, but bring extra tackle…there are a ton of rocks and you will get snagged up a couple times if you’re fishing over there. This past weekend I was able to make it to Garden Island and I was having success in 18 to 20 feet of water on either side (East or West). Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods.

My shout out today will go to Robert (Oakdale, MN) and Chad Berdahl (Minneapolis, MN). I wanted to personally thank you two for visiting us this past week. I hope that the fishing was all you anticipated. I look forward to seeing you guys again very soon. I’m glad you guys had the opportunity to catch, back to back, Catch of the Day’s…30” Walleyes don’t come along every day…Nice Fish!!!! I hope all of your expectations were exceeded while staying here at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!








Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment