Thursday, June 18, 2009

Family Fishing, Brings Families Together

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. With Father’s Day approaching I wanted to talk a little bit about my memories with my Dad and I would have to say that more than half are related to the outdoors. Whether is was fishing in the summer, Partridge hunting in the early Fall or Deer hunting in the late Fall, early Winter…my father was inspirational in letting me experience the outdoors.

I was born and raised in International Falls, MN and had the great outdoors at my disposal…I feel blessed in so many ways to have had that opportunity. About two weeks ago I shared the story about my favorite fishing memory, which just happened to be on Father’s Day. I truly have hundreds of family fishing/hunting memories that I could share, and I’m sure that through the years, if you keep reading, you will hear a great number of them. Today I would like to share another fishing memory that happened about 25 years ago on the Canadian side of Rainy Lake.

For a month every summer as I grew up, my Mom and Dad would hook up the pop-up camper and we would head out to a resort on the Canadian side of Rainy Lake, called the Fisheries Resort in Red Gut Bay. We would be accompanied by relatives and friends from church…I believe there was a total of 25 people in the group. On one gorgeous calm June day, we all gathered into the boats and headed toward Crow Rock Inlet on the northern side of Red Gut Bay for another day of fishing, but we weren’t expecting the surprise we received. With the 9.9 Honda, the Tessier’s, were a little bit behind our fellow friends with a little bigger boats and motors, but we eventually arrived. My Father decided to try a little bay that we usually wouldn’t have tried, just because he had a feeling. Well that feeling lead to a number a great fish! Within a thirty minute period we had already caught our limit and were starting to throw fish from boat to boat. Everyone heard the hoots and hollers and came on over to see what we were yelling about. People that had fished that lake for 30 years were amazed at the amount and size of the fish. This was almost unheard of on Rainy Lake 25 years ago. What a day…that was truly one of my best memories as a kid. I hope someday to be able to make some of those memories with my kids…it would be truly special.

Daily Fishing Report: Today we will have showers early with isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon, high 79F with winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 30% chance of rain. Tonight we will have scattered showers and thunderstorms, a few storms may be severe, lows near 60F with winds light and variable…there will be a 40% chance of rain. Tomorrow we will have variable clouds with scattered thunderstorms, high 77F with winds SW at 5 to 10…there will be a 50% chance of rain. Again today’s fishing report will come from me first hand. I have been having my best success anywhere from 1 to 4 ½ miles northwest of Lighthouse Gap in the big water in 28 to 32 feet. The fishing has picked up again in that area since we started to get some good wind blowing through the area (1 to 1 ½” chop). Graceton Reef may be another spot to keep on your radar. I have been having some good success trolling and jigging with Pink and Gold Jigs with frozen emerald shiners as bait. We need the sun to warm up the rocks a bit more, but it’s still fishing well. Just a little FYI – Graceton Reef will be good, but bring extra tackle…there are a ton of rocks and you will get snagged up a couple times if you’re fishing over there. My other sources (our guides) have been going to Garden Island and having success in 22 to 25 feet of water. They have been using the same lures and bait as I have been using. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods. Make sure you’re on the bottom because that’s were the fish are at!

My shout out today will go to all the Dads out there…I know that it’s going to be your day, but take your family fishing on Father’s Day, you won’t regret it. Make your family memories on Lake of the Woods this Father’s Day week, weekend and day…heck role this over to the entire summer. It’s pretty inexpensive to do, and it will give you plenty of time to talk about many different things with your kids and family. Hope to see you all on the lake!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment