Monday, April 20, 2009

Is it Spring or Fall????

Good morning to all!!!!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman's Blog. Well, I’m sitting in my office at the Wigwam Resort and have to look at my phone to see the date again, and then I have to take a double take…its April 20, 2009 and it’s snowing! I thought that when I moved back from Michigan on February 16Th that I would only have about another month and a half of winter left. Then it would be spring…the ice would melt on the lake and we would not see anymore snow until next October/November...at least that's what I had hoped. I must have miscalculated that by just a little tiny bit…ha ha. Well I guess that’s why they call northern Minnesota the “Great White North”.

We are less than 3 weeks away from the open of fishing season…YES!!!! On a fishing report front; there are only a few brave souls this morning out in the bay and on the river...it is just so cold. The weekend brought many happy fisherman to Four Mile Bay and Rainy River though. On Saturday night most of those happy fisherman came to the Wigwam Resort to wet their whistles and reminisce about the Sturgeon and Walleye that they had caught that day and throughout the week. I heard a wide range of stories, from the quantity of fish, to the size, and it was just making my mouth water…I wanted to go out and catch those fish! Over the weekend, just on this end of Rainy River, I would say that there was about 175-200 boats out fishing on a daily basis in a 3 mile section of the Four Mile Bay and Rainy River…pretty impressive.

For all of you whom are looking forward to the Sturgeon Excursion…its 4 days away and counting…I hope you’re excited, because I know I am. The Wigwam Resort will start receiving guests as soon as Wednesday for the now electrifying yearly event, which will be held April 24Th, 25Th & 26Th this year. Every person that calls that is looking for updates on the bite, is grinning from ear to ear on the other end of that phone after I give them the update. I know this because, their excitement is evident in their voices. For the people that are not familiar with the Sturgeon Excursion, come on down to the Wigwam Resort this Friday and Saturday night and get a feel from the participants first hand of what it’s all about. You will leave happy campers, I promise.

My shout out today will go to my dog Vancouver (Golden Retriever)...I know he won’t be able to read this, but he took his first swim this weekend in a pond behind my house. The way he jumped right in and grabbed that stick would have made any dog owner proud. I hope he shows that sort of enthusiasm when hunting season come around this fall. I can’t wait to take him fishing with me everyday this summer...I just hope he doesn’t want to jump off the boat. I’m sure we can get that under control though…so here’s to you little buddy!

Happy fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment