Saturday, April 25, 2009

Cold Start to the Sturgeon Excursion for Many, but Some See Good Results

Good afternoon to all!

I know that this is late, but I picked up my “first ever” new (used) boat today from Hoots Sports in Perham, MN and I just walked into the door at the Wigwam. My intentions were to get back to the Wigwam by 1 PM this afternoon and go out on the river and Four Mile Bay to take some pictures of the Sturgeon Excursion participants and their catch for the day, but that didn’t happen. What I do have, is some pictures that I would like to share from yesterdays catch by the participants.

The word of the day yesterday was “thirty three feet”…that was where the Sturgeon were hiding. Brian K. from IDOfishing.com was nice enough to let me share his boat for a little jaunt around Rainy River and Four Mile Bay. Most of the people that we had talked to had only caught 1 or 2 Sturgeon on the day, but there were a couple lucky anglers that had some real luck brining in about 20 Sturgeon in a group of 6 people. They were saying that the bit was slow, but the fish they caught had some size, 40” to 60”. Even though they were cold, they had fun catching the Sturgeon and then sharing the stories with us over a few pops at the Wigwam.

More and more families are getting involved in the Sturgeon Excursion and that was a key point that was told to me by Brian K. He was so happy to see the wives, girlfriends and kids fishing with their significant others and families. On a kid front…that is our future and it is just plain old fashion fun to see the kids light up when one of those “prehistoric dinosaurs” poke their heads up to say hello. I would like to see more of that and I think that may be something that we at the Wigwam will try and promote. I remember my memories as a child and many were revolving around family fishing…those were the days.

My shout out today will go to DuWayne Sonnenberg from Hoots Sports in Perham, MN. DuWayne was the lucky individual that sold me my first boat, and I wanted to thank him and the rest of the crew over at Hoots Sports for the enjoyable experience. DuWayne is retiring from a long career in the industry and I just wanted to wish him the best of luck with his retirement. DuWayne, you will be welcome in my boat at anytime…may you be blessed with many days of Happy Fishing!

Happy fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment