Sunday, August 23, 2009

Lake of the Woods Produces the "Big Fish"

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. Yesterday I was able to go fishing with a friend up in the Northwest Angle. We were able to catch Walleyes, Small Mouth Bass, Rock Bass and a big Northern Pike. A majority of the fish were caught on Rapala’s and spinner baits that we were casting. Only a couple fish were caught on a spinner with a crawler.

The lake was a little rough getting across yesterday, but once I was able to get behind Knights Island, it was smooth sailing up to the Islands. I was able to checkout some of the beautiful landscape Lake of the Woods has to offer for the first time as I drove past Little Oak Island on my way to Flag Island, and it was amazing. If you haven’t experienced it…I highly recommend it!

I was able to land the largest fish I have ever caught on Lake of the Woods while I was visiting the Northwest Angle and my heart is still pumping at twice the legal limit…haha. It was a little 38”, 17 pound Northern Pike…it was amazing! It came up once and ran, then for a second time and it ran again, each time taking more and more line…thank goodness I had my drag set at the level I had it, or it would have pulled the rod right out of my hands. It took me a good five minutes to wear it out a bit to get it into the net…I was taking my time…I didn’t want to lose this one. I caught it on a hammered gold spinner bait…I was casting it up about 5 feet from shore and pulling it back to the boat. I thought that I had a snag up until it started to move…it was a nice little surprise. I was given some insider information by one of the locals up there, “Dick Myers”, on where to wet my line and I just wanted to thank Dick personally for the “info”…I had a blast!

I will bring this up every day until we are there, but just a reminder to all of you that want to stay with us this winter during ice fishing season…we are starting to fill up. If you want your places reserved at the Wigwam Resort, book now, or forever hold your peace. We are looking forward to a record breaking ice fishing season, for the amount of fish that will be caught on Lake of the Woods, don’t miss out on all the fun. Remember, every night during the winter is like a Saturday night. Be apart of all the excitement, only at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Once again, before I go into the fishing report, I just wanted to take a second and go over all the different species of fish that we have caught this year in Lake of the Woods. I know that we are known to be the Walleye Capitol of the World, here in Baudette, MN on Lake of the Woods, but we have many different species of fish that are being caught out of Lake of the Woods that should get there day in the lime light. We have caught Monster Lake Trout, Musky, Northern Pike, Perch, Sauger, Small Mouth Bass, Sturgeon and Walleye this summer. So if you’re looking to be put on some different species of fish this summer other than Walleye, don’t hesitate to give us a call at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods and let us, PUT YOU ON THE FISH!!!!

Daily Fishing Report: Today we will have sunshine to start, then a few afternoon clouds, high 82F with winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Tonight we will have partly cloudy skies early will give way to cloudy skies late, low 61F with winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow we will have variable clouds with scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly in the afternoon, high 77F with winds S at 15 to 25 mph…there will be a 50% chance of rain. Tomorrow night we will have scattered thunderstorms in the evening, cloudy skies overnight, low 57F with winds NW at 5 to 10 mph…there will be 50% chance of rain. Today’s fishing report will come from our guides (Tom Briggs, Billy Kloos…aka The Sniper and Kevin Olmstead) and guests. The word is that right in front of Zipple Bay is slowing down a bit, so I decided to go up to the Northwest Angle and tried to get “the one”. I have yet to fish for big Musky, but yesterday I gave it a go and was able to land a nice little Northern Pike. I was fishing around all the islands up there, casting hammered gold spinner baits almost on shore and reeled it back to the boat. It was a blast searching for “the one”, Lake of the Woods has him and I want to find him. Knights and Bridges are starting to produce some nice fish…we just had some guests that were filming a TV show (James Holst with IDOfishing.com) and they headed up there and fished the rocks…slow troll/drift…orange spinners and hammered gold spinners with crawlers…they had some great success. They caught a number of nice fish…the biggest was 25 inches. As I always say about the rocks…get ready to donate some tackle, because you will get caught up at least a few times fishing those areas. If you get the chance to go across the lake to Garden Island and Little Oak Island, you won’t be disappointed with the results. The name of the game is jigging. This week our guides have been making that a must stop…last week I was up there with a couple and we hammered them with jigs and crawlers…it was a blast! You will want to be on the Northeast side of Little Oak and the Southeast side of Garden. You can’t miss all the launches in those areas and on this occasion I have to say “follow the launches”. They are all catching fish up there and having a blast. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods…come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment