Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Lake of the Woods Heat Wave Heats up the Bit

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. Yesterday for a couple hours in the evening I had the opportunity to go out and do a little Small Mouth Bass fishing…it was awesome as usual. I took full advantage of my remote border crossing and Ontario fishing license and crossed the border into Canada to catch a couple beauty Small Mouth. I was no further than 30 feet away from shore, using a gold spinner bait. I was casting about 1 foot from shore and reeling it back to the boat…about every third cast I’d have a fighter on the other end of my line…it was truly awesome! If you get the opportunity to come to Lake of the Woods and you’re looking to get into the Small Mouth Bass, give me a shout and I’ll tell you exactly where to go for all the action you can handle.

I wanted to also congratulate Tom Briggs (Owner of the Wigwam Resort) and Rick Amundson on their First Place victory at the MTT (Minnesota Tournament Trail) Fishing Tournament this past weekend on Lake Winnibigoshish. I don’t have the pictures yet, but I will have them soon. This allows them to compete in the 2009 Championship which will be held on Lake of the Woods next month (September 18th & 19th). I want to wish them the best of luck as they fish for the MTT Championship.

I will bring this up every day until we are there, but just a reminder to all of you that want to stay with us this winter during ice fishing season…we are starting to fill up. If you want your places reserved at the Wigwam Resort, book now, or forever hold your peace. We are looking forward to a record breaking ice fishing season, for the amount of fish that will be caught on Lake of the Woods, don’t miss out on all the fun. Remember, every night during the winter is like a Saturday night. Be apart of all the excitement, only at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Once again, before I go into the fishing report, I just wanted to take a second and go over all the different species of fish that we have caught this year in Lake of the Woods. I know that we are known to be the Walleye Capitol of the World, here in Baudette, MN on Lake of the Woods, but we have many different species of fish that are being caught out of Lake of the Woods that should get there day in the lime light. We have caught Monster Lake Trout, Musky, Northern Pike, Perch, Sauger, Small Mouth Bass, Sturgeon and Walleye this summer. So if you’re looking to be put on some different species of fish this summer other than Walleye, don’t hesitate to give us a call at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods and let us, PUT YOU ON THE FISH!!!!

Daily Fishing Report: Today will be very sunny with near record high temperatures, high 89F with winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Tonight will be mostly clear, low 62F with winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow we will see some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm in the afternoon…it will be warm, high 88F with winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph…there will be a 30% chance of rain. Tomorrow night will be partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms, low 62F with winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be another 30% chance of rain. Today’s fishing report will come from me and our guides (Tom Briggs, Billy Kloos and Kevin Olmstead). We are still fishing up by Little Oak Island and hammering the Walleyes. We are were slow trolling and jigging with crawlers as bait. As I alluded to a couple days ago, the downriggers have just come out. Yesterday I heard again that people were up at Little Oak again downrigging and they are limiting out in about 2 hours…nice. Tom, Billy and Kevin have been going to the southwest side of Garden Island and they are still hammered the fish. They were using hammered gold spinners with crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners (they were hitting on every color). They were catching fish from 18 feet to 10 feet of water while drifting in our 27’ Sportscrafts! Last night I headed over to Morris Gap to checkout my own advice. The bit was a little slow because of dirty water, but the fish are most defiantly there. As soon as it clears up, watch out, the bit will be on. Last week, Jake Magness and I went fishing in Four Mile Bay, about 100 yards west of the green marker, right out in front of the Wigwam Resort and we found some Walleyes. We caught about 15 fish in the period of about an hour; the biggest fish was 26-1/2”. We were slow drifting and trolling using hammered gold spinners with crawlers and metallic red spinner jig with frozen shiners. I went fishing over there last night and the fish are piling up over there. I was marking so many fish, but very slow bite. I anticipate that to start heating up here within the next few days. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods…come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment