Monday, August 10, 2009

The Downrigging Has Finally Started on Lake of the Woods

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. I’m sorry for being absent for the past few days, but I was on a nice little vacation with my girlfriend, who took me fishing for my birthday…I know I liked her for some odd reason…haha. We went up to the northeast part of Lake of the Woods and went fishing for Northern Pike and Small Mouth Bass, and we got into both…it was a blast and I wanted to thank Tiff again for surprising me the way she did…I’m one lucky guy. She looks a lot better than I do with a fish so today you don't have to look at my ugly mug...haha.

On Saturday I had the pleasure of taking the Bernards for Grand Rapids, MN out fishing and we were able to get into some of those nice Walleyes I keep writing about. The Bernards call Lake Winnibigoshish their second home, but have been fishing Lake of the Woods for the past few years. I feel very fortunate and thankful that we had the opportunity to meet. At the beginning of the day Mr. Bernard wanted to pull out the downriggers, but we didn’t need them…we were fishing with jigs and half a crawler. Mr. Bernard had some great action with his Chartreuse jig, Mrs. Bernard was pulling in some nice fish herself with her white/blue jig and even I got to get in on some of the excitement with my white/light green jig. They were able to go back home with some nice Lake of the Woods Walleye to feed themselves for a couple days. I just wanted to personally thank the Bernards for coming with me and making my day so enjoyable…thank you two…you made my day! I hope that you both had a wonderful trip and I look forward to hearing from you again in the future…thanks again.

Just a reminder to all of you that want to stay with us this winter during ice fishing season…we are starting to fill up. If you want your places reserved at the Wigwam Resort, book now, or forever hold your peace. We are looking forward to a record breaking ice fishing season, for the amount of fish that will be caught on Lake of the Woods, don’t miss out on all the fun. Remember, every night during the winter is like a Saturday night. Be apart of all the excitement, only at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Once again, before I go into the fishing report, I just wanted to take a second and go over all the different species of fish that we have caught this year in Lake of the Woods. I know that we are known to be the Walleye Capitol of the World, here in Baudette, MN on Lake of the Woods, but we have many different species of fish that are being caught out of Lake of the Woods that should get there day in the lime light. We have caught Monster Lake Trout, Musky, Northern Pike, Perch, Sauger, Small Mouth Bass, Sturgeon and Walleye this summer. So if you’re looking to be put on some different species of fish this summer other than Walleye, don’t hesitate to give us a call at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods and let us, PUT YOU ON THE FISH!!!!


Daily Fishing Report: Today we will have plenty of sunshine, high 77F with winds light and variable. All I have to say about this is, FINALLY!!!! Tonight we will be generally clear, low near 55F, with winds light and variable. Tomorrow we will see mainly sunny skies, high 84F with winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow night will be mostly clear skies again, low 61F with winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Today’s fishing report will come from me and our guides (Tom Briggs, Billy Kloos and Kevin Olmstead). On Saturday I had the opportunity to take Mr. and Mrs. Bernard out fishing and we had a blast. We were fishing up by Little Oak Island and hammering the Walleyes. We were slow trolling and jigging with crawlers as bait. Saturday was the first time this year that I had seen with my own eyes, downriggers dropped and people actually starting to catch fish using that method. Today I heard that people were up at Little Oak again downrigging and what I heard is that they had limited out in about 2 hours…nice. Tom, Billy and Kevin have been going to the southwest side of Garden Island and they are still hammered the fish. They were using hammered gold spinners with crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners (they were hitting on every color). They were catching fish from 18 feet to 10 feet of water while drifting in our 27’ Sportscrafts! If you don’t have the boat to head up north, you will want to keep Morris Point in front of the washout and the west side of Pine Island in your crosshairs. Last week, Jake Magness and I went fishing in Four Mile Bay, about 100 yards west of the green marker, right out in front of the Wigwam Resort and we found some Walleyes. We caught about 15 fish in the period of about an hour; the biggest fish was 26-1/2”. We were slow drifting and trolling using hammered gold spinners with crawlers and metallic red spinner jig with frozen shiners. I went fishing over there last night and the fish are piling up over there. I was marking so many fish, but very slow bite. I anticipate that to start heating up here within the next few days. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods…come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

My shout out today will go to the St. Arnold Group that stayed with us this past weekend. I just wanted to give you a big Wigwam THANK YOU for choosing us as your resort destination on wonderful Lake of the Woods. I hope that all of you had a blast, and I also wanted to say it’s great to see that Fathers are taking their sons fishing. It reminds me so much of my childhood…maybe we have found the next great professional fisherman? I just wanted to thank you guys personally for choosing the Wigwam Resort and I hope that all your expectations were exceeded while staying with us here at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods. I look forward to seeing all of you back again very soon…THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment