Thursday, August 13, 2009

Even With Muddy Conditions, Zipple Bay Still Produces Monster Walleyes

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. Yesterday was a hard day for me…it would have been my Fathers 62nd birthday and all I wanted to do was take him fishing. I know that I don’t write much about personal feelings, but it is tough not talking about the person that was, and still is, the single most influential person in my life. My Father was the reason I had the opportunity to experience fishing and hunting for the first times and for that I am forever thankful. For all you Fathers and or sons out there that want to make an impact in your families lives…take them fishing…talk about life and let them know how important they are to you…it’s an awesome feeling that I wish I could experience with my Dad right now…I miss that little bugger.

Today I am going fishing with my little brother later this afternoon, if the weather cooperates. The word on the street is that the fishing right out in front of Zipple Bay is HOT-HOT-HOT! If you don’t want to drive across Lake of the Woods to Garden Island or Little Oak Island, you should have your eyes set on Zipple Bay. Last night we had some guests that were fishing over there and they were limited out within 3 hours. That was after throwing back approximately 10 slot fish around 26 – 28 inches…they were downrigging. I also talked to some gentlemen that were fishing in that same area that weren’t downrigging and experiencing the same luck. If you don’t have downriggers, don’t worry, just remember to bring your jigs and frozen shiners…you will want to be anchored or slow drifting/trolling and jigging off the bottom and you should get on the FISH!!!! I will be using either white/light green or white/gold 3/8 oz. jigs…I will let you all know how we fare tomorrow.

I will bring this up every day until we are there, but just a reminder to all of you that want to stay with us this winter during ice fishing season…we are starting to fill up. If you want your places reserved at the Wigwam Resort, book now, or forever hold your peace. We are looking forward to a record breaking ice fishing season, for the amount of fish that will be caught on Lake of the Woods, don’t miss out on all the fun. Remember, every night during the winter is like a Saturday night. Be apart of all the excitement, only at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Once again, before I go into the fishing report, I just wanted to take a second and go over all the different species of fish that we have caught this year in Lake of the Woods. I know that we are known to be the Walleye Capitol of the World, here in Baudette, MN on Lake of the Woods, but we have many different species of fish that are being caught out of Lake of the Woods that should get there day in the lime light. We have caught Monster Lake Trout, Musky, Northern Pike, Perch, Sauger, Small Mouth Bass, Sturgeon and Walleye this summer. So if you’re looking to be put on some different species of fish this summer other than Walleye, don’t hesitate to give us a call at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods and let us, PUT YOU ON THE FISH!!!!

Daily Fishing Report: Today will be mostly sunny…a stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible, high 91F with winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Tonight will be partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible, low 63F with winds SE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be 30% chance of rain. Tomorrow we will have sun and clouds mixed with a slight chance of thunderstorms during the afternoon…it will be warm again, high 86F with winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph…there will be a 30% chance of rain. Tomorrow night we will have variable clouds with scattered thunderstorms, low 64F with winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph…there will be a 40% chance of rain. Today’s fishing report will come from me and our guides (Tom Briggs, Billy Kloos and Kevin Olmstead). We are still fishing up by Little Oak Island and hammering the Walleyes. We are were slow trolling and jigging with crawlers as bait. As I alluded to a couple days ago, the downriggers have just come out. Yesterday I heard again that people were up at Little Oak again downrigging and they are limiting out in about 2 hours…nice. Also yesterday, I heard that Zipple Bay is HOT-HOT-HOT…if you don’t want to make the journey across Lake of the Woods, keep Zipple Bay on your radar. My sources were downrigging, and also, anchoring and jigging…both methods were successful. Tom, Billy and Kevin have been going to the southwest side of Garden Island, northeast side of Garden and northeast side of Little Oak…they are still hammered the fish. They are using hammered gold spinners with crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners (they were hitting on every color). Last night I headed over to Morris Gap to checkout my own advice. The bit was a little slow because of dirty water, but the fish are most defiantly there. As soon as it clears up, watch out, the bit will be on. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods…come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

My shout out today will go to the Gordon Anderson Group that just spent the past three days with us, fishing, lodging and eating so much food they all packed on a few extra pounds…it was like three days of Thanksgiving. I hope that all your expectations were exceeded while staying with us at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods. I just wanted to thank all of you personally for choosing the Wigwam Resort for your fishing vacation destination this summer. I know that you all are planning to come back and the entire staff is looking forward to seeing you guys in the very near future. I know that Billy had a great time with you guys also…thanks for being such great guests!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment