Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Dog Days of Summer have Skipped Lake of the Woods, the Walleye Capitol of the World

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. This past weekend I was off the lake and in Arizona with my brother visiting my Grandparents and extended family. As what I thought was sweltering hot weather at 98 and 105 degrees, my relatives joked that my brother and I must have brought the cold weather with us. The week before the temps were reaching 120 degrees…I’m so thankful I live in northern Minnesota! It was awesome to see family members that I haven’t seen in over 14 years. We had a tremendous reunion and some amazing fellowship during those 4 days. I just wanted to thank them all for their outstanding and generous hospitality; I think I know where I get it from now…thanks again to all.

While I was gone this past weekend and early this week, the unquestionable top notch fishing hasn’t stopped a bit on our amazing body of water, Lake of the Woods. As I returned to work yesterday afternoon I received a phone call from a guest who is coming up here next week with a large group, and he asked me, “how’s the fishing?” I had to tell him that I just returned home from a trip from out west and I honestly didn’t know. At that same moment Kevin “Tall Tale” Olmstead walked through the door with a huge smile on his face and I knew what that meant. I saw the look on Kevin’s face I had to tell our guest that Kevin just walked in and I’d ask him how to the fishing was. I immediately pulled the phone away and asked Kevin, “how was the fishing this weekend and this week?” Kevin replied with a big grin, which was slightly hidden from his huge mustache, “it was fantastic this weekend and we had our limit by 11 am this morning”. I held the phone as to make sure the gentleman on the other end was able to here it clearly. When I put it back to my ear I heard, “fantastic, we can’t wait to get there”. Just from hearing that, it put a smile on my face from ear to ear.

Today I had the opportunity of fishing with a delightful newlywed couple from Iowa, and regardless of the windy conditions we experienced, we had our limit by 12:30 this afternoon. We started the day off exactly where we finished it, about 5-1/2 miles west of Lighthouse Gap. There were a number of launches and personal boats out in our vicinity today. Our method of fishing was drifting with gold and gold/pink spinners with crawlers as our bait. The big Walleye of the day in our boat was 24 inches. We had another tremendous day out on Lake of the Woods, and once again we were blessed. Lake of the Woods has no match and is truly the Walleye Capitol of the World.

If you haven’t become a fan of the Wigwam Resort-low on Facebook, what are you waiting for? I’m posting on there daily and have found it a great way to communicate with everyone on a regular basis. I will be posting all of our weekly meal specials and drink specials on there also. Take advantage of Facebook and everything it allows you to do. We look forward to having you as our friends on Facebook. Also, we have just received a new stock of hats (seen pictured here). If you’d like to have the new Wigwam hat, and you don’t think you’ll be able to get back to see us soon, just give us a call and you can purchase the Wigwam hat over the phone (800) 448-9260. We will package and mail your order promptly.

Announcements…If you’re looking for some great fishing and lodging deals, check out the August Specials we will be offering on our website www.wigwamresortlow.com. We are running a Super Summer Special for the balance of the summer, until September 1st. Tom would like to celebrate his 12th year of ownership, and help more people experience Lake of the Woods, by offering $25.00 per person, per night lodging in our lodge every day (midweek & weekend). We would also like to offer $25.00 per person, per night lodging in our cabins, midweek only (Sunday night – Wednesday night) some restrictions will apply to minimum numbers of guest per cabin. Each lodging charge is subject to applicable federal, state and local sales tax. Applicable to new reservations only. I also wanted to tell you all about our Veterans and Armed Forces Special, which we have running 365 days a year. Wigwam Resort gives Veterans and our currently enlisted Armed Forces a 10% discount on any package plus whatever specials we are giving. We want to thank you all for your service…God Bless America!

If you’re looking for an affordable vacation this summer, at a first class fishing resort, you’ve just found it! For additional information, please call one of our knowledgeable staff members at (800) 448-9260, and start your journey to the “Walleye Capitol of the World”!

Today’s “Quote of the Day”…”A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and he who plants kindness gathers love.” – Basil. There is no debating the facts of this quote, to me, it’s just common sense. My father’s name was Curtis, which mean courteous, and when my Mother and Father gave me that middle name, they knew exactly what they were passing on, and through life they reminded me of it on a regular basis. Just today, I was just sharing the story of my Fathers last days with a guest at the resort, and that story had to do with the amount of people that came to pay their last respects to him before he passed. My Father was well known and respected in the communities, which he called home throughout his life, and to this day, regardless of whatever I have done in my life, I am still known as Curt’s son in those areas. He was the first to give away and last to ask for it back, and he reaped friendship and gathered love from all. I hope that this will inspire you to live your life parallel to this quote and make our world a better place…God Bless.

Daily Fishing Report: Tonight we should have a stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening with partly cloudy skies, low near 55F with winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow we should have sunshine and clouds mixed with a slight chance of a rain shower, high 71F with winds NW at 10 to 20 mph. Tomorrow night should we should have partly cloudy skies, low 47F with winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Friday should be mainly sunny, high around 75F with winds light and variable. Saturday we should have abundant sunshine, highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 50s. Sunday we should have a slight chance of a thunderstorm, highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 60s. Today’s fishing report will be provided by Billy “The Sniper” Kloos, Kevin "Tall Tale" Olmstead, Shane “Wiggles” Burk and myself. Today we all were fishing about 5-1/2 miles west of Lighthouse Gap in 32 feet of water. Imagine drawing a straight line north of Graceton Rd and drawing a straight line west of Long Point...where they cross is where you want to be. There hasn’t been one day they haven’t come in without their limit of Walleye. In years past this used to be the dog days of summer, but for some odd reason this summer, the Walleyes haven’t stopped biting. We all were drifting with gold and pink/gold spinners and crawlers were the best bait out there today. Today I also saw some people down rigging and long lining Rapalas. I don’t know how they were doing out there, but we were catching 4 to 6 fish on each drift. When fishing in deep water (30’ – 34’) and long lining I travel about 2.25-2.75 MPH and let out about 125-150 feet of line with TD-11 Rapalas and Reef Runners. This is one of my favorite ways to fish for “Big Walleye” on Lake of the Woods. Be sure to be hanging on, because when they hit you better be ready for a good fight. You can purchase your Jigs, Frozen Shiners, Spinners, Crawlers, and Rapalas from the same place that I get mine, Log Cabin Bait, which is about ¾ of a mile south of the Wigwam on 172. I must state this again, in my 18 years of fishing Lake of the Woods; I’ve never seen the fishing this good on such a consistent basis. Don’t wait too long to make your plans to visit us, because you never know how long it will last…I hope forever! Keep checking out the fishing report…I’ll give you all the hard facts as soon as I find out where they’re hiding next. Good luck and Happy Fishing to all! Thanks for fishing with us and visiting with us at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods.

My shout out today will go out to the many guests that visited us during July this summer. Thanks to you we had the best July we’ve had in years, and I look forward for this trend to continue into August and beyond! Thanks again and God Bless!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
www.wigwamresortlow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment