Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Wigwam Resort Keeps Reeling in the Walleyes on Lake of the Woods

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. I want to start off by congratulating the newlyweds that tied the knot on Pine Island this past Saturday and had their reception at the Wigwam Resort…Mr. & Mrs. Dicky Letexier. Thank you and your families for allowing us to partake in your special day. The Wigwam enjoyed the entire experience and we look forward to seeing you and many of your family members back again in the very near future…congratulations again!

Yesterday, at about 5 pm I was able to get out and do a little fishing, but with the hot temps and low wind, I had only one technique option, which was trolling the Rapalas. Tom came in off the lake yesterday, early in the afternoon and told me that he couldn’t keep the Walleyes off his hook in 31 feet right on the US/Canadian line. Well you can imagine what was going through my mind and that time, and I couldn’t wait to get out there and see for myself. But before I could try Tom’s “sure thing”, I wanted to go and try a spot that I had on my radar for the last few weeks around Burton Island, so that’s what I did. I was able to pull gold Reef Runners along the edge of a reef and it was one Walleye right after the other. It was so awesome that I didn’t get a chance to give Tom’s info a shot, but I’m sure that they will be there tomorrow…haha. If you haven’t had the opportunity of fishing Lake of the Woods this summer, you should get your butts up here as soon as possible. There is a reason Lake of the Woods is known as the “Walleye Capitol of the World”, come find out why for yourself and we’d love to show you around while you’re here.

Sunday, I had the opportunity of fishing with a father-son duo, and it was truly a wonderful experience. Both are originally New Ulm, MN, but Justin (Jerry’s son) is currently living in Los Angeles, CA while he is working in the film business. The day started off as I introduced myself to the two gentlemen on the dock and invited them into my boat for an exciting day of fishing. This was the first time in 16 years that Justin had been fishing, so it took him a couple misses to get his first Walleye, but he proved that it’s just like riding a bike, you just don’t forget it. As we drifted and pulled hammered gold spinners with crawlers as bait, we got to chatting and I got to learn a lot about Jerry and Justin. These are two very good people that I have a lot in common with. Not past jobs, but many values and our upbringing. Jerry has had a few near death experiences and as we discussed them on the boat, we both made the comment that “he’s here for a reason”. Jerry works as a driving instructor in New Ulm, MN and he loves doing it! He believes he is here to teach beginner drivers about the does and don’ts of driving…he has a great record of teaching his students the proper driving methods and is keeping his student and others safe as many new drivers hit our roads. That is a very admirable profession and I believe he truly is here for that reason. Justin works in the movie and film business in LA and he loves doing it! He has worked on Oscar Winning films, such as “Ray” (The movie about the legendary recording artist Ray Charles). He too followed his heart out to Hollywood and it’s paid off with a career he truly enjoys. I really enjoyed out time together gentlemen, and I believe we are all here for a reason, and I’m glad you guys genuinely enjoy your professions, as I do mine. Thanks for giving the Wigwam Resort and myself the opportunity to take you out in our backyard, Lake of the Woods. We look forward to seeing you both back this winter.

If you haven’t become a fan of the Wigwam Resort-low on Facebook, what are you waiting for? I’m posting on there daily and have found it a great way to communicate with everyone on a regular basis. I will be posting all of our weekly meal specials and drink specials on there also. Take advantage of Facebook and everything it allows you to do. We look forward to having you as our friends on Facebook. Also, we have just received a new stock of hats (seen pictured here). If you’d like to have the new Wigwam hat, and you don’t think you’ll be able to get back to see us soon, just give us a call and you can purchase the Wigwam hat over the phone (800) 448-9260. We will package and mail your order promptly.

Announcements…If you’re looking for some great fishing and lodging deals, check out the August Specials we will be offering on our website www.wigwamresortlow.com. We are running a Super Summer Special for the balance of the summer, until September 1st. Tom would like to celebrate his 12th year of ownership, and help more people experience Lake of the Woods, by offering $25.00 per person, per night lodging in our lodge every day (midweek & weekend). We would also like to offer $25.00 per person, per night lodging in our cabins, midweek only (Sunday night – Wednesday night) some restrictions will apply to minimum numbers of guest per cabin. Each lodging charge is subject to applicable federal, state and local sales tax. Applicable to new reservations only. I also wanted to tell you all about our Veterans and Armed Forces Special, which we have running 365 days a year. Wigwam Resort gives Veterans and our currently enlisted Armed Forces a 10% discount on any package plus whatever specials we are giving. We want to thank you all for your service…God Bless America!

If you’re looking for an affordable vacation this summer, at a first class fishing resort, you’ve just found it! For additional information, please call one of our knowledgeable staff members at (800) 448-9260, and start your journey to the “Walleye Capitol of the World”!

Today’s “Quote of the Day”…”Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.” Leon J. Suenes. I talk a lot in my blogs about happiness, and for you that I’ve had the pleasure of meeting, I’m sure I’ve talked about it with you also. In one of the recent blogs I used a quote for the quote of the day that I believe goes hand and hand with the above quote (“There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.”). After having the pleasure of fishing with a couple great guys this weekend and listening to their unique stories, I once again was reminded about the importance of being happy in life, and most importantly, being willing to pay whatever price it was to achieve your dreams. I personally had a very tough decision to make a few years back and I paid a great price, by leaving many great friends, which I had made from the previous 15 years of my life to follow my dreams. Today, I am happier than I’ve ever been in my entire life, and I owe it to the fact that God gave me the strength to take a chance and followed my dreams, regardless of the price I had to pay for it. I’ve always been a dreamer and that will never end, but I now know that there are always great prices we all must pay for happiness, just know, it’s all worth it in the end. I hope each of you will find the strength to find your happiness as your lives move forward, and God is great way to find that strength…God Bless.

Daily Fishing Report: Today should be partly cloudy, warm, high 89F with winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Tonight we should see scattered showers and thunderstorms; low near 65F with winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 40% chance of rain. Wednesday should be partly cloudy with a stray thunderstorm, highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s. Thursday should be partly cloudy with a stray thunderstorm, highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s. Friday we should have scattered thunderstorms possible, highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 60s. Today’s fishing report will be provided by Billy “The Sniper” Kloos, Kevin "Tall Tale" Olmstead, Tom Briggs and I. Today we were fishing in two separate locations early, but ended the day in the same spot. This morning Tom and Kevin started about 5-1/2 miles west of Lighthouse Gap in 32 feet of water. Imagine drawing a straight line north of Morris Point and drawing a straight line west of Long Point...where they cross is where they were out. “The Sniper” started the day off in 31’ of water right off the US/Canadian line and absolutely crushed the fish all day. When Tom and Kevin heard Billy aka “The Sniper” on the radio telling them to get there butts over there, there was no hesitation. Tom was the first to get back to the resort and by the big grin on his face, I knew that they had a great day. Tom said that they had to slow troll, because there was little wind, but the fish were biting like crazy. They were using the hammered gold and pink/gold spinners with crawlers and leeches. You can purchase your Jigs, Frozen Shiners, Spinners, Crawlers, leeches, and Rapalas from the same place that I get mine, Log Cabin Bait, which is about ¾ of a mile south of the Wigwam on 172. I must state this again, in my 18 years of fishing Lake of the Woods; I’ve never seen the fishing this good on such a consistent basis. Don’t wait too long to make your plans to visit us, because you never know how long it will last…I hope forever! Keep checking out the fishing report…I’ll give you all the hard facts as soon as I find out where they’re hiding next. Good luck and Happy Fishing to all! Thanks for fishing with us and visiting with us at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods.

My shout out today will go out to Jerry and Justin Pagel, whom I had the great honor of meeting and fishing with yesterday. I enjoyed our time together in the boat and you both are great people, whom get to live great lives doing what you both truly love to do. Enjoy the time that we are all given and live your lives as happy as humanly possible. I look forward to seeing you both again soon, no matter when it is. Take care, and it again was truly an honor sharing my boat with you two…God Bless.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
www.wigwamresortlow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment