Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What a Wonderful Labor Day Weekend at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. I hope that everyone had the opportunity to enjoy the great weather that we had over our Labor Day Weekend. I know that I did…so did our guests! I had the opportunity to go fishing with my brother for the first time in a few weeks and it was a blast. We fished out in 32 feet of water and were anchoring and jigging. I was able to set the hook a couple times and it felt awesome…Ryan, unfortunately just got his hook robbed…sorry Ryan. We will have to get out and get on them again very soon…I don’t want you to forget how it feels to set the hook…haha. All kidding aside, it was awesome to go fishing with my little brother, and I look forward to doing again very soon.

This weekend also produced my first ever Goose Hunt…it was an amazing experience. I was able to go hunting with Tom Briggs, Clayton Keister, Brice (Tom’s stepson who was doing some awesome calling), Duke (Clayton’s dog) and Jade Estling, at the Estling Farm in Warroad/Roosevelt. I just wanted to personally thank Jade and Rod Estling for letting me hunt the property…I will remember it for the rest of my life…thank you. I was able to shoot my very first Goose, but it took a while. I had fired about 12 shots and was only able to get one…I know that’s not to good, but I would have to say that as I was shooting all the time, Tom was getting his shots off before me and knocking everything in range out of the air…it was a great site to see…I think I was more in awe than anything at Tom’s great shooting. Thanks again guys for all being apart of another great northern Minnesota experience that I will be able to have for the rest of my life!

GREAT BREAKING NEWS…THE SHINERS HAVE STARTED THEIR RUN INTO FOUR MILE BAY AND THE RAINY RIVER!!!! Again, what this means for all of us is, unbelievable fishing in Four Mile Bay (right in front of the Wigwam Resort) and the Rainy River. The reservations have been pouring in for the next 2 months and we are already starting to fill up. For example for the next 3 weekends we only have 3 cabins and 8 lodge rooms available (that is total)…book now or forever hold your peace. I will try to fish Four Mile Bay everyday this upcoming week and keep everyone informed as to how the fish are biting and what they are biting on. I know that the Walleyes have already started to move there way into Lighthouse Gap and Four Mile Bay, but as of right now, no monsters, just good eaters. The method of fishing has reverted back to anchoring and jigging with frozen Shiners.

Just a couple announcements…September 18th & 19th will be the MTT (Minnesota Tournament Trail) Fishing Championship, which will be held on Lake of the Woods, and a large majority of the participants will be staying with us at the Wigwam Resort…Poor Boys band will be playing both Friday and Saturday night for the entertainment. October 2nd & 3rd will be the Fall North Star Walleye Classic Fishing Tournament…Poor Boys will again be blessing us with their presence on those respected Friday and Saturday nights. Finally, for every Vikings game this season we will have a “Kill the Keg” special, and specials on our bar dining menu. This will make for some pretty crazy Sunday afternoon/nights and Monday nights…LETS GO VIKINGS!!!!

I will bring this up every day until we are there, but just a reminder to all of you that want to stay with us this winter during ice fishing season…we are starting to fill up. If you want your places reserved at the Wigwam Resort, book now, or forever hold your peace. We are looking forward to a record breaking ice fishing season, for the amount of fish that will be caught on Lake of the Woods, don’t miss out on all the fun. Remember, every night during the winter is like a Saturday night. Be apart of all the excitement, only at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Daily Fishing Report: Today will be windy with thunderstorms this afternoon, high 78F with winds SSE at 20 to 30 mph…there will be a 60% chance of rain. Tonight there will be thunderstorms likely, low 54F with winds SW at 15 to 25 mph…there will be an 80% chance of rain. Tomorrow should be partly cloudy skies, high around 75F with winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow night should be clear to partly cloudy, low 47F with winds light and variable. Today’s fishing report will come from our guides (Tom Briggs, Billy “The Sniper” Kloos and Kevin Olmstead), our guests and me. Tom, Billy, Kevin have stopped heading north and started to fish the big water again about 4 to 6 miles outside Lighthouse Gap and Morris Point Gap in about 30 to 32 feet of water. They have been anchoring and jigging, and also downrigging if jigging becomes too tough. When downrigging they have been using trusty Rapala baits and when they are jigging they are using White/Gold and Orange/Gold jigs with frozen Shiners as bait. The fishing has still been top shelf and we don’t anticipate that to slow in the least bit as we move into the middle of September. A few of our guests have been seeing major success using those two methods also. Yesterday I had the opportunity to take my little brother fishing…in the matter of two hours I had two nice Walleyes in the boat and my brother had been robbed by about 10…haha. I was using a White/Gold jig with a frozen Shiner and Ryan was using an Orange/Chartreuse/Gold jig with a frozen Shiner also. He saw more action, but I was fortunate enough to hook them. Last week I was informed by Jake Magness and Doug “The Surgeon” Hagen that the fish were biting out in Light House Gap again. They were anchored and jigging with green and silver jigs and frozen shiners as bait. They said that they had gone through their one bag of Shiners in about 30 minutes…the bite was that good! I also heard from one of our guests that long lining Rapalas in about 14 to 16 feet of water on the west side of Pine Island was the ticket…I was unable to try it for myself, but I have faith in the source. I will give that a go here in the next few days and let you know how I do. Regardless the Walleyes are starting their move into Rainy River again…I CAN’T WAIT! There have been more boats fishing right out in front of the Wigwam Resort also…what this means is that the Shiners have started their annual run into the Rainy River…we all know what that means…BIG WALLEYES ARE ON THE WAY! The Shiner run will last till the middle of November, so if you don’t want to travel far and you want to catch some big fish, book today at the Wigwam Resort and experience some of the “BEST FISHING IN THE WORLD”! All this great fishing will take place right in front of the World Famous Wigwam Resort, in Four Mile Bay and at the mouth of the Rainy River! Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods…come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

My shout out today will go to all the guests that stayed with us over the Labor Day Weekend. I hope all of your expectations were exceeded while staying with us at the Wigwam Resort…we want to make sure that you are taken care of, and have a ton of fun…that is what it’s all about…having fun. As I had the opportunity to speak with most of you during your stay, it was great to hear that you all were enjoying it and having fun…again that is what it’s all about! Thank you all again from me, Tom and the entire staff for choosing our little piece of paradise here at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods…THE BEST FRESHWATER FISHERY IN THE WORLD!!!! We look forward to all your returns!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment