Wednesday, September 30, 2009

As September Ends, Fall Officially Begins on Lake of the Woods

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. I hope that everyone had better weather than we did the past few days. I have said this a million times to others and now the past few days that’s the same thing that was delivered in my direction…”you should have been here yesterday”…haha. I hate to laugh at that because it is so true. I know that we can’t control the weather and the past few days I was the tourist on vacation hoping for the good weather and having to deal with sub-par conditions…it happens to us too. Well we did what we had to, wherever we were able to get out of the wind we fished and dealt with the conditions to the best of our ability and tried to stay positive and have as much fun as humanly possible…I am forever an optimist!

For my two days off I went back to my roots, back to where I learned how to fish with my Father and Grandfather…Rainy Lake. It was the first time I had been back to fish Rainy in over 17 years…that’s right 17 years! When you have Lake of the Woods in your back yard it’s tough to want to even go anywhere else. I was able to take two friends with me on this little excursion, Jake “of the Woods” Magness and Doug “The Surgeon” Hagen. I can truly say that we are very spoiled on Lake of the Woods and I wouldn’t have it any other way. In a two day period with very high winds and cold temperatures the fish got “lock jaw” and wouldn’t bite, well we did catch some fish, but we had to really work at it. We were marking a number of fish, but couldn’t get a majority of them to take the bait, and we threw everything at them but the kitchen sink…we jigged, trolled with spinners and pulled Rapalas…a cold front is nasty no matter where you fish. Despite the conditions, we had a blast and I can’t wait till our next excursion, I think the next one will be on Lake of the Woods though…that way I will have no excuse…haha.

Just a couple announcements…this weekend October 2nd & 3rd will be the Fall North Star Walleye Classic Fishing Tournament…Poor Boys will again be blessing us with their presence on those respected Friday and Saturday nights. Finally, for every Vikings game this season, we will have a “Kill the Keg” special, specials on our bar dining menu, and prizes to give away. This will make for some pretty crazy Sunday afternoon/nights and Monday nights…LETS GO VIKINGS!!!!

I will bring this up every day until we are there, but just a reminder to all of you that want to stay with us this winter during ice fishing season…we are starting to fill up. If you want your places reserved at the Wigwam Resort, book now, or forever hold your peace. We are looking forward to a record breaking ice fishing season, for the amount of fish that will be caught on Lake of the Woods, don’t miss out on all the fun. Remember, every night during the winter is like a Saturday night. Be apart of all the excitement, only at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Daily Fishing Report: Today will be sunny, high around 60F with winds SE at 15 to 25 mph. Tonight we should have a few passing clouds, low 39F with winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph. Tomorrow we should have sunshine and clouds mixed high 59F with winds ESE at 15 to 25 mph. Tomorrow night should be mostly cloudy skies, low 37F with winds E at 15 to 25 mph. Friday should be partly cloudy, highs in the mid 50s and lows in the upper 30s. Today’s fishing report will come from me and our guides (Tom Briggs, Billy “The Sniper” Kloos and Kevin Olmstead. The fishing has still been “top shelf” (for all my hockey buddies), even with this cold front that we have had move in the past few days, and we don’t anticipate that to slow in the least bit as we move into October. A few days ago I went to the Nine Footer and fished on the edges of the reef in 30-34 feet of water and got into them…I was using hammered gold spinners with crawlers and long lining Rapalas (Chartreuse/Silver/Red aka “the clown”) and having great success. I also went right to 28 feet of water right outside Lighthouse Gap and pulled Burnt Orange/Red Rapalas and hammered the Walleyes. I have also been fishing North Graceton Reef and all I have to say is…what a fishing honey hole…the fish are thick around the reef in 16 to 18 feet of water around the rocks. I was using hammered gold spinners with crawlers and trolling across the top of the reef. As I always say though, when fishing the rocks, be ready to donate some tackle…risk and reward! Again this morning there were more and more boats fishing right out in front of the Wigwam Resort also (about 20 total)…what this means is that the Shiners have started their annual run into the Rainy River…we all know what that means…BIG WALLEYES ARE ON THE WAY! I have been talking to local fisherman that catch their own Shiners and they are out every night getting them…game on! The Shiner run will last till the middle of November, so if you don’t want to travel far and you want to catch some big fish, book today at the Wigwam Resort and experience some of the “BEST FISHING IN THE WORLD”! All this great fishing will take place right in front of the World Famous Wigwam Resort, in Four Mile Bay and at the mouth of the Rainy River! Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods…come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort

No comments:

Post a Comment