Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Shiners are Running, the Shiners are Running!

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. Well by the title I bet most of you can guess what is happening right now on the Rainy River, the Shiners are running. Yesterday when I got back from North Dakota, I started asking around to find some good fishing information since I’ve been out of town for the last 5 days. The info was great on all fronts, in the lake and the river. There are reports of some very nice size Shiners being caught as far up on the Rainy River as Winter River Road. The Walleyes are still in Lake of the Woods in 30 – 32 feet, but their starting to make their way into Lighthouse Gap. I heard from a very reliable source that in 19 feet of water right out from the green buoy in Lighthouse Gap, the Walleyes are starting to pack up. I also got the same information from some of our guests who are staying with us this week. They all stated that there is one color that you’re going to need to constantly have, and that color is gold! I would imagine that by this weekend there will be about 100 boats sitting in Four Mile Bay trying to land those hungry Walleyes. The question is, will you it be you?

The past 5 days I’ve had the pleasure of Duck hunting in one of the most beautiful places, besides Lake of the Woods, and that place is Gackle, ND. The dimpled terrain was plush with slews, water and massive farm fields planted with and assortment of crops. The Ducks were jumping from pond to pond each morning and the bang of the 3-1/2 inch 12 gage shells were echoing across the land. There is a very wide assortment of duck species littered across the amazing landscape, it is just incredible. In one day we shot Red Heads, Teals, Mallards, Blue Bills, Spooners, Pintails and even a few Geese.

I was invited by Tom to hunt with a few of his good home town friends, in what I will now call, the Duck Capitol of the World. Each year Tom donates a free trip to help the people of Gackle during Duckfest, and this year’s 8th Annual Duckfest was incredible. Throughout the first 7 years, Tom and his friends have participated in the event, but this year he didn’t think he was going to be able to make it, so he forwent his chance to participate. Last week something fell through so Tom asked me if I wanted to go out and shoot some Ducks, and needless to say I jumped at the opportunity. I tried to take some video, but the shooting was way to fun to miss, so sorry about the footage. I went through a few boxes of shells, and each time a group came in it was more awesome than the last. Some of those little Teal are hard to hit, but I managed to bring home the “bacon” to Jody. This is a trip I will make an annual event of, for years to come. Thanks to the residents of Gackle for putting on such a fabulous event, and I look forward to seeing you all next year.

If you’re interested in attending the event next year, please let me know and I’ll put you in touch with the man that puts it all together, Wigwam patron, Henry “Hank” Steinberger. I’m sure next years 9th Annual Duckfest will be even a bigger hit than this year. Thanks for all the hospitality Hank, we’ll see you this winter for ice fishing.

If you haven’t become a fan of the Wigwam Resort-low on Facebook, what are you waiting for? I’m posting on there daily and have found it a great way to communicate with everyone on a regular basis. I will be posting all of our weekly meal specials and drink specials on there also. Take advantage of Facebook and everything it allows you to do. We look forward to having you as our friends on Facebook. Also, we have just received a new stock of hats (seen pictured here). If you’d like to have the new Wigwam hat, and don’t think you’ll be able to get back to see us soon, just give us a call and you can purchase the Wigwam hat over the phone (800) 448-9260. We will package and mail your order promptly.

Announcements…If you’re looking for some great fishing and lodging deals, check out the September Specials we will be offering on our website www.wigwamresortlow.com. We are running a Fall Special. The Special will be as follows: $35 per person per night lodging in the lodge or cabins (restrictions will apply with number of people in cabins) and $90 per person per day for a full day of full service guided launch service and $65 per person per day for a half day of full service guided launch service. Each lodging charge is subject to applicable federal, state and local sales tax. Applicable to new reservations only. I also wanted to tell you all about our Veterans and Armed Forces Special, which we have running 365 days a year. Wigwam Resort gives Veterans and our currently enlisted Armed Forces a 10% discount on any package plus whatever specials we are giving. We want to thank you all for your service…God Bless America!

If you’re looking for an affordable vacation this summer, at a first class fishing resort, you’ve just found it! For additional information, please call one of our knowledgeable staff members at (800) 448-9260, and start your journey to the “Walleye Capitol of the World”!

Today’s “Quote of the Day”…”If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.” - Lord Chesterfield. When I was a youngster, my father took me fishing and planted knowledge in me that no one could take away. Knowledge can count for anything you learn, but you must learn it so it is with you for the rest of your days. With the knowledge that is planted in the youth of today, they will use that knowledge for rest of their lives. My father always tried to teach me, my brother and sister new things, no matter what it was. I remember when I was 16 years old and I just received my drivers’ license, I was given the 1972 Grand Torino Sport to drive. About 2 months into driving the Torino I was in the Hardees parking lot in International Falls (where I grew up) and the starter went out on the car. I called my father from Hardees and filled him in; he said hold tight he’ll be right there. I waited for about 15 minutes before dad arrived, I was so relieved. He got out of the car and went to the passenger side and opened the door, he pulled out a NAPA box and I was about ready to get my first lesson on how to change a starter. My dad handed me the box, a wrench and a socket set, I looked at him and said, what is this for? He just grinned and said I’ll get you started and then we’ll see you for dinner. I worked on that thing through dinner plus another hour or so. When I got home, my father asked me if I learned anything today, and I said, yes, I need to get a new car…haha. He snickered and said that wasn’t going to happen, but I did learn something valuable that day that keeps helping me today. Since that time I’ve probably changed 10 starters on my vehicles, and I didn’t have to ask anyone for help. Knowledge planted when young will allow us to grow into the independent people we’ve always dream. I hope this will make you think about planting knowledge in the youth of today. They need our help to learn and by giving them knowledge could be our best investment for the future…God Bless.

Daily Fishing Report: Today we should have plentiful sunshine, high 62F with winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Tonight should be mostly clear, low 43F with winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow should be mainly sunny, high 71F with winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph. Tomorrow night we should see clear skies, low 47F with winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Friday should be mainly sunny, highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 40s. Saturday we could see occasional showers possible, highs in the mid 60s and lows in the upper 40s. Sunday we could see showers, highs in the low 60s and lows in the mid 40s. Today’s fishing report will be provided by me and Billy “The Sniper” Kloos and a few of our guests. The Shiners have started their run. I was informed from my friends over at Log Cabin Bait of that fact when I got back into town on Monday night. I just talked to a few guest this morning that also had some success in the river up by Winter River Road. I also was informed from locals and guests that the fish are still thick in Lake of the Woods in 30 – 32 feet of water off the US/Canadian line and in 19 feet of water right outside of Lighthouse Gap on the Line…just past the green buoy. I think that everyone who is coming up this weekend will have a great time fishing Rainy River or Lake of the Woods. Anything with Gold on it right now is what you’ll want to have on. If you’re fishing the river, be sure you have ¾ to 1 oz jigs, we really have some current flowing and you have to be on the bottom to catch the Walleyes. You can purchase your Jigs, Frozen Shiners, Rapalas and Reef Runners from the same place that I get mine, Log Cabin Bait and Tackle, which is about ¾ of a mile south of the Wigwam on 172. I must state this again, in my 18 years of fishing Lake of the Woods; I’ve never seen the fishing this good on such a consistent basis. Don’t wait too long to make your plans to visit us, because you never know how long it will last. Keep checking out the fishing report, and I’ll give you all the hard facts as soon as I find out where they’re hiding next. Good luck and Happy Fishing to all! Thanks for fishing with us and visiting with us at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods.

My shout out today will go to the great community of Gackle, ND. I wanted to thank them all for providing Duckfest to everyone that wishes to participate. This is a great event that provides an abundance amount of fun. I wanted to give a special “Thank You” to Hank Steinberger for allowing us to be a part of the 8th Annual Duckfest. It was a blast and I will try everything in my power to make sure that we’re a part of it next year for the 9th Annual. Just like Lake of the Woods is the Walleye Capitol of the World, Gackle, ND is the Duck Capitol of the World. Thanks again to everyone that had a hand in planning and putting on the fantastic event; it was a joy to attend!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
www.wigwamresortlow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment