Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Rainy River Starts to Produce the Walleyes We’ve All Been Waiting For

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. We’ve had one of the most fabulous northern Minnesota Octobers that I can ever remember, and that includes the fishing also. I’ve been able to grow close to many local Baudette people and they have taken me in with open arms. This most definitely plays a role in all the fishing knowledge and information I have gained within the last year. These people are now my family and friends. It seems as if you live in this area, you’re fishing or someone close to you is fishing and that’s what it’s all about. I moved here to do just that, and it has allowed me an opportunity to do what I’ve truly dreamed of since I was 15 years old…fish for a living and live to fish. Short of the long is that fishing in the Rainy River is great and the locals are whacking them in there everyday…come up and join us.

From here on out 60% of the people coming to Lake of the Woods will be looking to fish the Rainy River, and there in for a real treat this year. Make sure you have the Rainy River Lake Master chip so you can see where all the Walleyes will be hiding. Logic plays a role when fishing in the river, and what I mean by that is, when the river is flowing from Baudette out to Wheelers Point you would figure that with the currant we are experiencing, that swim would be a little bit tiring to the Walleyes and Shiners. What I look for is any resting spots they may have, like in the mouths of the inlets and any protected pockets and holes. If you’re rocking a gold/pink, gold/chartreuse, gold/orange, or a plain gold ¾ or 1 oz “Strobe Jig” (Log Cabin Bait) with a frozen Shiner, I would have to say you’d be well on your way to catching instead of just fishing for Walleyes in the Rainy River this next week. Now that’s some inside information for the Walleye Capitol of the World.

Yesterday Vancouver and I picked up our first Grouse of the year and it is now resting quietly in what I like to call “The Treasure Chest”, our fridge. We didn’t get out till late afternoon so there wasn’t much time, but we did find one pecking the gravel before roost. My brother has had a little bit more time to hunt south of Warroad, where he lives, and he’s had some tremendous success each and every time out. The same can go for Billy “The Sniper” Kloos who just a few days ago pick up a limit with Tom Griffin south of Baudette. The Partridge are all over the place this year and I hope that within the next few weeks I’ll have a little more time to get out and let Vancouver run around some State Land south of Graceton and Williams, MN…he sure loves those birds!

ICE FISHING REMINDER!!!!!

Ice fishing is right around the corner and the Wigwam Resort is starting to fill up for December and January already. I have to make this know, because one of our longtime patrons called me this morning to make a group reservation for the 3rd weekend in December and I had to tell him that we are all sold out of cabins. Needless to say he was a tad bit bummed, and he said, “I shouldn’t have waited this long, the guys are going to be so mad”. I don’t want anyone to have to be mad at anyone, so if you’re looking to ice fishing on Lake of the Woods this winter and you want to stay at the Wigwam Resort, you might want to check on availability as soon as possible. With the great fishing we’ve had all summer; people are making reservations ice fishing before they’ve even left the resort. Many of you have been fishing here all summer and know what it’s been like day in and day out and you’re not missing your chance to fish Lake of the Woods, and stay at the best resort on the lake (Wigwam Resort), my humble opinion.

If you haven’t become a fan of the Wigwam Resort-low on Facebook, what are you waiting for? I’m posting on there daily and have found it a great way to communicate with everyone on a regular basis. I will be posting all of our weekly meal specials and drink specials on there also. Take advantage of Facebook and everything it allows you to do. We look forward to having you as our friends on Facebook. Also, we have just received a new stock of hats (seen pictured here). If you’d like to have the new Wigwam hat, and don’t think you’ll be able to get back to see us soon, just give us a call and you can purchase the Wigwam hat over the phone (800) 448-9260. We will package and mail your order promptly.

Announcements…If you’re looking for some great fishing and lodging deals, check out the October Specials we will be offering on our website www.wigwamresortlow.com. We are running a Fall Special. The Special will be as follows: $35 per person per night lodging in the lodge or cabins (restrictions will apply with number of people in cabins) and $90 per person per day for a full day of full service guided launch service and $65 per person per day for a half day of full service guided launch service. Also checkout the Newsletter Special we have on our website, under the Newsletter page, and don’t worry, it will be worth your while. Each lodging charge is subject to applicable federal, state and local sales tax. Applicable to new reservations only. I also wanted to tell you all about our Veterans and Armed Forces Special, which we have running 365 days a year. Wigwam Resort gives Veterans and our currently enlisted Armed Forces a 10% discount on any package plus whatever specials we are giving. We want to thank you all for your service…God Bless America!

If you’re looking for an affordable vacation this summer, at a first class fishing resort, you’ve just found it! For additional information, please call one of our knowledgeable staff members at (800) 448-9260, and start your journey to the “Walleye Capitol of the World”!

Today’s “Quote of the Day”…”It’s not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness”. – James M. Barrie. Jody is so wise; she always sends me the right things on the right days. Just this morning I was scoping through some inspirational quotes, but nothing was hitting me with conviction. Just as fate would have it, my phone buzzed to let me know that I had a new message. She sent me the above quote with a neat little message to go along with it. She is my inspiration and I thank her for all her love. The quote says it all, it’s no about what “you like”, but “liking what you do” that makes you happy, which could be two separate things. I don’t get to do what I like to do everyday, but I love what I do and that makes me sooooooooooooo happy. I hope this will challenge you to think about your personal happiness, and that you find the way…God Bless.

Daily Fishing Report: Today will be partly cloudy, high 56F with winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Tonight should be mainly clear skies, low 34F with winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Tomorrow we should se sunshine and clouds mixed high 58F with winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Tomorrow night we should see a few clouds, low 43F with winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Saturday should be sunny, highs in the mid 50s and lows in the low 30s. Sunday should be partly cloudy, highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 30s. Monday we should see times of sun and clouds, highs in the mid 50s and lows in the mid 30s. Today’s fishing report will be provided by me, Billy “The Sniper” Kloos, a few of our guests and some local talent. As I noted in the last fishing report the Shiners have started their run and I’ve seen it with my own eyes. Some of our guests and many of the locals have been fishing and catching some nice Walleyes in the Rainy River from the Baudette Airport (right by the boat launch) to the mouth of the Rainy River on Wheelers Point. For everyone still wanting to fish Lake of the Woods no worries, right outside of Lighthouse Gap on the Line, just past the green buoy, and along Pine Island (18 – 22 feet of water) into Morris Gap there is a line of boats jigging away and catching plenty of Walleyes. We are still out in 30 – 33 feet off the line and all the way to Zipple in the bowl we have still been catching fish. Anything with Gold on it right now is what you’ll want to have on, and don’t forget your frozen Shiners. I told this story last fishing report, but I think it’s so important I’m bringing it up again. To tell you how important bait is I have a story for you. A group that stayed with us this weekend had two separate boats and one was using the frozen Shiners from Lake of the Woods and the other was using frozen Shiners from a bait shop down in the Twin Cities. The boat with the Lake of the Woods Shiners was out-catching the boat with the imported Shiners 10 to 1. As soon as they figured they needed different bait, which was provided by the other boat, they started catching them one after the other in the same spot…I must emphasize in the same spot. So that should tell you the importance of using the bait provided on Lake of the Woods. If you’re fishing the river, be sure you have ¾ to 1 oz jigs, we really have some current flowing and you have to be on the bottom to catch the Walleyes. You can purchase your Jigs, Frozen Shiners, Rapalas and Reef Runners from the same place that I get mine, Log Cabin Bait and Tackle, which is about ¾ of a mile south of the Wigwam on 172. I must state this again, in my 18 years of fishing Lake of the Woods; I’ve never seen the fishing this good on such a consistent basis. Don’t wait too long to make your plans to visit us, because you never know how long it will last. Keep checking out the fishing report, and I’ll give you all the hard facts as soon as I find out where they’re hiding next. Good luck and Happy Fishing to all! Thanks for fishing with us and visiting with us at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods.

My shout out today will go out to our entire guest list that will be staying with us this weekend…all 80 of you. Thank you for staying with us in our home while you’re fishing the Rainy River and Lake of the Woods (The Walleye Capitol of the World). This is not just our business, the resort is our home and where we spend most of our time, and I’m thrilled that we get to share it with so many new faces each and every week. I know I use the following phrase quite a bit, “Paradise without a Passport”, but it’s the truth. The beauty we experience every day is absolutely unbelievable, and we are all so lucky to be a part of it. Thanks again and we look forward to putting you all on the fish.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
www.wigwamresortlow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment