Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lake of the Woods is the Worlds Best Freshwater Fishery, “The Proof is in the Lake”

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. I want to start off today by thanking everyone that has given the Wigwam Resort the opportunity to have you as our guests this summer. We are constantly improving the resort from your input to make sure your next visit is even more enjoyable than the last. So, please let us know what we can do “within reason…haha” to improve your visits to the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods .

This weekend I will have the opportunity to take four of my family members fishing, and I’m so pumped and excited. These four have never fished Lake of the Woods before, and I look forward to showing them our breath taking backyard and World Class Walleye Fishing. I have been bragging Lake of the Woods up to all my friends and family so long and now it’s “go time” and I can’t wait! Now all I have to do is put them on the fish…anyone have any ideas??? Haha just kidding…I think I’ve got a few spots we can give a try .

Yesterday I had the opportunity of fishing with a long time Lake of the Woods angler, Mr. John Heckelsmiller of Ceder Rapids, IA. Tuesday’s are typically my day off, so John invited me to go fishing with him on the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods. Needless to say there was no hesitation in my answer and I welcomed it with open arms. John and I fished the entire day pulling Rapalas and casting, we were in search of Musky, Small Mouth Bass and Walleyes, and we found them all! This excursion was strictly catch and release, and as we caught, we couldn’t believe how healthy and plump all the fish looked, especially the Walleyes. The day started off a little slow, but John put us on the fish and a majority of them came from pulling our Rapalas along the shore lines over the rocks in 8 to 15 feet of water. I do want to warn people out there, if you’re not an experienced fisherman this may get a little frustrating because of snags, but just like practice, the more you do it, the better you will become, and I’m sure you’ll learn to love it just as much as I have! As I was bouncing off the rocks and my lure hooked into a fish, it was as if I was a little kid again fishing for the first time…it was so awesome! The Canadian side of Lake of the Woods reminded me so much of my up bringing on Rainy Lake, it was as if I was thrown back in time. The endless islands and wildlife kept me constantly energized throughout the day. The excitement of hooking into my first Musky and seeing it was so exhilarating, I now know why people get hooked on Musky for life! I am now and forevermore a Musky fisherman! I just wanted to give John a shout out and a HUGE “Thank You”…I can’t wait till next time!

The fishing this summer on fabulous Lake of the Woods has been, pardon the pun, OFF THE HOOK, and Walleye head shakers seem to have no end in site. This weekend I had the pleasure of fishing with a few different guests; most of them were first timers to Lake of the Woods and the Wigwam Resort. Before the end of their trips, they were already planning their next excursion to Lake of the Woods and putting together the invite list. My question to you is; who are you going to invite for your next trip to Lake of the Woods? I look forward to seeing each of you again and your new guests ;).

This past Saturday the Wigwam Resort hosted the Summer North Star Classic Walleye Tournament on Lake of the Woods, and Todd Hagen and Jamie Lisell put on another clinic. These Roseau natives have fished the North Star Classics (Spring, Summer and Fall) for a few years now and have placed well each and every time. I wanted to congratulate Todd and Jamie, and thank the rest of the competitors for competing in the fun summer event. If you’re interested in finding out more about the North Star Classics, please checkout our website at www.wigwamresortlow.com, or call me at the office at (800) 448-9260. The Fall Classic is typically the largest of the 3 and will take place this September 18th and 19th, which just happens to be the weekend before the MTT Championship on Lake of the Woods. This should bring in a great field of anglers for an exciting tournament!

As many of you probably know, Lake of the Woods is on fire right now. The Walleye bite has never been better on a consistent basis. Lake of the Woods is spoiling people each and everyday, so if you’re on the fence about taking that trip to God’s Country, tip off that fence and head up north to “The Walleye Capitol of the World”…you won’t be disappointed. The tantalizing effect of setting the hook never gets old, I for one can attest to that. Remember, the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods is Paradise without the Passport…come be our guest.

If you haven’t become a fan of the Wigwam Resort-low on Facebook, what are you waiting for? I’m posting on there daily and have found it a great way to communicate with everyone on a regular basis. I will be posting all of our weekly meal specials and drink specials on there also. Take advantage of Facebook and everything it allows you to do. We look forward to having you as our friends on Facebook. Also, we have just received a new stock of hats (seen pictured here). If you’d like to have the new Wigwam hat, and you don’t think you’ll be able to get back to see us soon, just give us a call and you can purchase the Wigwam hat over the phone (800) 448-9260. We will package and mail your order promptly.

Announcements…If you’re looking for some great fishing and lodging deals, check out the June Specials we will be offering on our website www.wigwamresortlow.com. We are running a Super Summer Special for the balance of the summer, until September 1st. Tom would like to celebrate his 12th year of ownership, and help more people experience Lake of the Woods, by offering $25.00 per person, per night lodging in our lodge every day (midweek & weekend). We would also like to offer $25.00 per person, per night lodging in our cabins, midweek only (Sunday night – Wednesday night) some restrictions will apply to minimum numbers of guest per cabin. Each lodging charge is subject to applicable federal, state and local sales tax. Applicable to new reservations only. I also wanted to tell you all about our Veterans and Armed Forces Special, which we have running 365 days a year. Wigwam Resort gives Veterans and our currently enlisted Armed Forces a 10% discount on any package plus whatever specials we are giving. We want to thank you all for your service…God Bless America!

If you’re looking for an affordable vacation this summer, at a first class fishing resort, you’ve just found it! For additional information, please call one of our knowledgeable staff members at (800) 448-9260, and start your journey to the “Walleye Capitol of the World”!

Today’s “Quote of the Day”…”To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." - Edward Bulwer Lytton. As I was reading through a number of quotes this morning, this one seemed to exemplify my recent chase for the Mighty Musky of Lake of the Woods. I’ve talked to a number of very experienced Musky fishermen on Lake of the Woods and they have given me an abundance of great information, but each had this to say, “You don’t know where there going to be, so fish everything”. If that isn’t the same as “leave no stone unturned” I don’t know what is. I believe we all could live our lives this way and it might just make for a better way of life…God Bless.

Daily Fishing Report: Today will be mostly sunny, high 72F winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Tonight will be partly to mostly cloudy, low 61F with winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Tomorrow we should see partly cloudy skies with gusty winds, is will be warm, high 86F with winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Tomorrow night should be partly cloudy, low 68F with winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Friday there should be a slight chance of a thunderstorm, highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 60s. Saturday we should see scattered thunderstorms, highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 60s. Sunday should be partly cloudy with a stray thunderstorm, highs in the mid 70s and lows in the upper 50s. Today’s fishing report will be provided by myself, Tom Briggs, Billy “The Sniper” Kloos, and Kevin “Tall Tale“ Olmstead. The fish are still in the same depths just maybe a tad bit west. For example, picture Morris Point and head straight north to 32 – 34 feet and that’s where you’ll find the fish. The boats are out there, so you don’t have to worry about exact areas, just hunker in and fish away. This past weekend I was catching fish each and everyway possible (jigging, drifting or trolling). Once again, I have never caught so many big fish at one time in my life…Lake of the Woods baby, Lake of the Woods. Frozen Shiners, Leaches, and Crawlers can be used with similar results out there right now…it just depends on what method of fishing to the bait being used. If you want to troll, or drift and pull spinners, use hammered gold, which is a Lake of the Woods sure thing. As far as the bait goes while pulling spinners you can use minnows “preferably live”, leaches, or my favorite, crawlers. When we have a good “Walleye Chop” out there, it’s still best to anchor and jig. If you plan on anchoring in the big lake, the best type of anchor to use is a spike anchor with at least 100’ of rope. 3/8 oz Jigs (Pink/Gold, Silver & Chartreuse/Green) with frozen shiners were the golden tickets this weekend and week. We also did some long lining this weekend with awesome success when the wind died down and there was no Walleye Chop. When fishing in deep water (30’ – 34’) I travel about 2.5-2.75 MPH and let out about 125-150 feet of line with TD-11 Rapalas and Reef Runners. Purple and White was the magic color while pulling plugs yesterday in Canada. This is one of my favorite ways to fish for “Big Walleye” on Lake of the Woods. Be sure to be hanging on, because when they hit you better be ready for a good fight. You can purchase your Jigs, Frozen Shiners, and Rapalas from the same place that I get mine, Log Cabin Bait, which is about ¾ of a mile south of the Wigwam on 172. I hope to see you all up here, but if you can’t make it, keep checking out the fishing report…I’ll give you all the hard facts as soon as I find out where they’re hiding next. Good luck and Happy Fishing to all! Thanks for fishing with us and visiting with us at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods.

My shout out today will go to the TriTec of Minnesota, Inc. Group from the Virginia, MN area. They were introduced to the Wigwam Resort by one of the Wigwam’s longtime patrons, Mr. Dan Berg. Thank you Mitch for giving us the opportunity have you as our guests. We look forward to your return in September and getting you hooked on some ice fishing. Thanks again guys, it was a blast and I hope you had as much fun as it looked like you had…take care.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
www.wigwamresortlow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment