Thursday, March 11, 2010

That’s Why it’s Called Fishing…

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. Well let me get right to the business at hand…I’m sure that all of you are wondering about ice conditions…here we go. The good news is, the ice thickness is holding up, the bad news is, we aren’t getting those freezing temps we were supposed to get as of a couple days ago and from the present forecast, the weather doesn’t look to be changing for the next few days. As of now it is business as usual for the weekend, but as I stated before, I will keep you all updated to any changes, good or bad.

Last Sunday after church, Jody and I met a few of our friends at the VFW’s Annual Fishing Derby in Baudette. The event was for a great cause…The Boy Scouts. I personally have never been involved with the group, but as a kid who was involved in Awana (something very similar), I know how beneficial funding was to put on our functions, which were always fun and most importantly educational. The air was filled with laughter and pleasant conversation, while hotdogs and constant chatter were flowing from the Derby Headquarters, always giving away prizes donated by some area businesses. It was a beautiful day…35 and sunny…not a cloud in the sky. There were 35 Northern Pike caught total for the day, and Jody and I didn’t get even one…haha. Oh well I guess that’s why they call it fishing, and not catching. We had a blast and it will most definitely be apart of our schedule next year.

Today’s “Quote of the Day”…”There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” – Albert Einstein. Last week I was asked if I’m actually as happy as I seem, or is it just a mask. I was kind of taken back by the comment, because I’ve never been asked that questions before…I’m just a genuinely happy natured individual I guess. Well, where I’m going with this is, when I was reading through some of the quotes, which I read daily, this one really seemed to make an impression on the question that was asked. I have had plenty of highs and lows in my short life and I came to the conclusion a few years back that no mater what I do in life, I want to be truly happy, and I’ve been able to successfully accomplish that. So when you see me and I’ve got a smile on my face that will just mean, I’m doing what I love to do…I treat everything as a miracle. Keep your tips up, lines tight and every time you’re fishing, remember the above quote. I hope this will brighten your day and bring you happiness to your life, on and off the lake! P.S. – I think the guy that said it knew a thing or two also…Mr. Albert Einstein.

The lures that have still been working well are the “Gold Disco Ball aka “Strobe Jigs” (made by JB’s Tackle)”, “Stop Signs (Pink or White)”, “Macho Minnows (Pink, Green or White)” “Glow Pink Charmers (made by Tom’s Tackle locally in Baudette), which just happens to be my favorite lure to date” and “Chubby Darters/Rapala Rattling Jigs”. You want to be using anything that glows right now to get the best success possible…white and pink have been the best! All these items can be purchased at Log Cabin Bait and Tackle, which is about ¾ of a mile south of the Wigwam on 172. Remember that Vexilars are not required, but they help immensely when fishing off the bottom and marking suspended fish, which has been a common occurrence these days on Lake of the Woods. So, where I’m going with this one is, get a Vexilar today…you won’t be disappointed!

Announcements…Tami and the Bachelor will be the live entertainment this weekend (March 12th & 13th). Also, for all of you that have the ability to come midweek don’t miss out on our great specials for March. We are offering a total of 15% off for midweek packages (lodging/fishing) and (lodging/fishing/meals)…these are applicable to reservations made after March 1, 2010. The Bikini Ice Fishing Team will be here on March 18, 19 & 20. If you’re looking for some great ice fishing deals, checkout the current February specials we are offering on our website http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/. We are running a March special that will give you a discount on packages purchased for March 2010. The specials will only last through the rest of March…you can’t beat them!

Daily Fishing Report: Today will be overcast, high 41F with winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Tonight we should get rain showers early becoming more intermittent overnight, low 32F with winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 40% chance of rain. Tomorrow we should see showers early becoming less numerous later in the day, high 43F with winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 40% chance of rain. Tomorrow night should be mostly cloudy skies, low 33F with winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. Saturday should be mostly cloudy, highs in the mid 40s and lows in the low 30s. Sunday should be cloudy, highs in the mid 40s and lows in the low 30s. Monday should be mostly cloudy, highs in the mid 40s and lows in the upper 20s. Then the next few days it will continue to get colder, with even snow on Friday (the 19th) and Saturday (the 20th), which should help us out for next weekend. Today’s fishing report will come from me and our guides. Pink, White and Gold are still the magic colors on Lake of the Woods. Vexilars are not a must, but suggested…I won’t even fish if I don’t have a Vexilar these days. Today our houses outside of Lighthouse Gap in 16 – 24 feet of water did fairly well, some of the gentlemen that I talked to picked up 30 plus fish each, so keep that on your radar this weekend…you don’t have to go as far for good fishing. We just went back to the Reefs today for the first time in a few days and I have yet to get a report, but will post that tomorrow. People are having good success out at the end of Adrian’s Road in 32 to 36 feet of water. The road is still drivable as of today, but please call Adrian’s for the current reports. Snowmobiles are still you’re best bet as of this weekend…there is still snow on the ice. The lures showing the best success rates are the “Gold Disco Ball aka Strobe Jig by JB’s Tackle”, “Charmer Jig (Pink) by Tom’s Tackle, the Pink or White Florescent “Stop Sign”, “Macho Minnows” and “Chubby Darter/Rapala Rattling Jig” (all can be purchased at the Log Cabin Bait store approximately ¾ of a mile before the Wigwam on 172). Use anything that glows right now, whether it is pink or white. Also give the plain gold jigs/Disco aka “Strobe” balls a try. The ice thickness out there is currently 32-34 inches on the big body of water and 24-28 inches in Four Mile Bay. Adrian’s road is open for business, but with the weather, I would only bring something with 4 wheel drive, but as I indicated earlier, call Adrian’s for the up to date report. Fishing has been a tad bit slow the past few days during the mid day hours, but smoking hot from 4:15 to dark. As anyone who has fished before knows, it can’t be gang busters all the time, even if we want it to be. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods; come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort
http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment