Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Late Fall Lake of the Woods Walleye Bite is back after the Wind Recedes

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. I wanted to start off by throwing out a big Wigwam Thank You to the Jason Madden Group form Iowa that visited us over the weekend. This group consisted of three brothers, a grandfather, a cousin and a friend. I had the pleasure of showing them around the lake Friday and Saturday. The fishing wasn’t phenomenal, but we managed to get a few Walleye, Sauger and Perch to send home with the boys. After the windy few days we had prior to there arrival, the lake was like chocolate milk everywhere but the Gaps, so we were limited to those spots. We found most of the fish in 16-1/2 feet of water in Morris Gap. We did see a few being caught out of Lighthouse, but there was most definitely more action at Morris. Thanks again guys for being our guests and giving me the opportunity to meet all of you. We hope you had a wonderful time and we look forward to seeing you all back this winter.

On Monday afternoon at about 3 PM, I looked out the window and there was barely any wind and it was sunny and close to 60 degrees. My mind started running and I thought I better get out on the lake just one more time before the weather turns for good, it was November 1st. So, I proceeded to get the boat and head to the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods, just east of the Nine Footer, to The Three Sisters. The Three Sisters is a rocky formation that is on the edge of the big body of water, just inside of the Canadian border. Oh yeah, another great fact is it also just happens to run up on a sand bar. For many of you that read my blog, you know that I love to fish the rocks and on this fabulous November day that’s just what I was going to do.

I started pulling TD-11 & TDD-9 Rapalas (Blue/Silver/Red) along the rock shelf in about 22 feet of water. I was marking plenty of fish, but just not picking any up, so I proceeded to head in to 18 feet and see what I could pick up. This move was the smartest thing I did all day. In a two hour period I picked up a 16”, 23-1/2”, 27-1/2”, 28-1/2” and a 31” Walleye…I love it! Pulling plugs on Lake of the Woods is one of my favorite techniques and on Monday it landed me the biggest Walleye I’ve ever caught on Lake of the Woods, and I’ve been fishing here for 18 years. Needless to say I’m a little pumped!

I have people that ask me all the time about fishing in Canada, and most think that you have to stay in Canada to fish there, that is flat wrong. Many of the locals around the Baudette area purchase a RABC (Remote Area Border Crossing) Permit from the Ontario Customs and an Ontario fishing license, which allows us to fish Canadian waters of Lake of the Woods. My personal opinion is this, the big body of water holds the big fish, as many of you know, and that’s where you want to be fishing. If you’d like to fish the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods and stay with the Wigwam, please shoot me an e-mail (jp@wigwamresortlow.com) and I can help you put something together.

This was sure a day to remember, and maybe something that might get your blood pumping every time you’re getting ready to visit us on Lake of the Woods. I have put a little video together of my latest excursion which landed me the biggest Walleye of my life, by The Three Sisters on Lake of the Woods, and here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0V-rHm_BTA.

ICE FISHING REMINDER!!!!!
Ice fishing is right around the corner and the Wigwam Resort is starting to fill up for December and January already. I have to make this know, because one of our longtime patrons called me this morning to make a group reservation for the 3rd weekend in December and I had to tell him that we are all sold out of cabins. Needless to say he was a tad bit bummed, and he said, “I shouldn’t have waited this long, the guys are going to be so mad”. I don’t want anyone to have to be mad at anyone, so if you’re looking to ice fishing on Lake of the Woods this winter and you want to stay at the Wigwam Resort, you might want to check on availability as soon as possible. With the great fishing we’ve had all summer; people are making reservations ice fishing before they’ve even left the resort. Many of you have been fishing here all summer and know what it’s been like day in and day out and you’re not missing your chance to fish Lake of the Woods, and stay at the best resort on the lake (Wigwam Resort), my humble opinion.

If you haven’t become a fan of the Wigwam Resort-low on Facebook, what are you waiting for? I’m posting on there daily and have found it a great way to communicate with everyone on a regular basis. I will be posting all of our weekly meal specials and drink specials on there also. Take advantage of Facebook and everything it allows you to do. We look forward to having you as our friends on Facebook. Also, we have just received a new stock of hats (seen pictured here). If you’d like to have the new Wigwam hat, and don’t think you’ll be able to get back to see us soon, just give us a call and you can purchase the Wigwam hat over the phone (800) 448-9260. We will package and mail your order promptly.

Announcements…If you’re looking for some great fishing and lodging deals, check out the November Specials we will be offering on our website www.wigwamresortlow.com. We are running a Fall Special. The Special will be as follows: $35 per person per night lodging in the lodge or cabins (restrictions will apply with number of people in cabins). NOVEMBER ICE FISHING SPECIAL - If you book by November 30th for a February Mid-Week Ice Fishing Package you will get a 15% discount. That’s Sunday night – Wednesday night 15% off all Mid-Week Ice Fishing Packages. To qualify for this you must have the deposit paid by November 30th. Each lodging charge is subject to applicable federal, state and local sales tax. Applicable to new reservations only. I also wanted to tell you all about our Veterans and Armed Forces Special, which we have running 365 days a year. Wigwam Resort gives Veterans and our currently enlisted Armed Forces a 10% discount on any package plus whatever specials we are giving. We want to thank you all for your service…God Bless America!

If you’re looking for an affordable vacation this summer, at a first class fishing resort, you’ve just found it! For additional information, please call one of our knowledgeable staff members at (800) 448-9260, and start your journey to the “Walleye Capitol of the World”!

Today’s “Quote of the Day”…”The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be.” - Horace Bushnell. In today’s day and age with all the hardships you see everyday people going through I believe there is something inspirational in store for all our lives at the end of this leg in our journey. It’s hard to find someone whose life that hasn’t been affected in one shape or form by our lagging economy. Most everyone has a good outlook though, even despite the tough times, and I think that is the most important part. As we battle on a daily basis the inspiration of life needs to overflow. Where my life has been inspired is, to help others and do as much as I can to help people enjoy life. I have been blessed with a fantastic opportunity to put smiles on peoples faces each and every day, and this is what I believe I was put on this earth to do. The people I meet inspire me to be better and do better for others, so I challenge each of you to do the same. Let’s together make this world a better place for those we will eventually leave it to…God Bless.

Daily Fishing Report: Today we should see plenty of sunshine, high 49F with winds NW at 15 to 25 mph. Tonight should be partly cloudy, low 34F with winds NW at 10 to 20 mph. Tomorrow we should have considerable clouds early, with some decrease in clouds later in the day, temps nearly steady in the mid to upper 30s with winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Tomorrow night we should have a few clouds, low 28F with winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Friday we should have plenty of sun, highs in the low 40s and lows in the low 30s. Saturday we should have times of sun and clouds, highs in the low 50s and lows in the mid 30s. Sunday should be mostly cloudy, highs in the low 50s and lows in the mid 30s. Today’s fishing report will be provided by me, a few of our guests and some local talent. Morris Gap has had the most consistent and best fishing this fall for me and our guests. This weekend we were fishing in 16-1/2 feet of water in Morris Gap and consistently caught fish, mostly Saugers, but the Walleyes were there to be had. Lighthouse Gap closest to Pine Island in 14 – 18 feet of water also produced for some of our guests. If you’re fishing in the Rainy River I heard through the grapevine that right out from Wheelers Point Resort by the windsock that people are doing well in 15 feet of water. The colors are still pretty consistent, Pink and Chartreuse have been very effective. As we get colder weather the Walleyes will undoubtedly run into the river after the Shiners that should be running a little bit better now. If you’re fishing the river, be sure you have ¾ to 1 oz jigs, we really have some current flowing and you have to be on the bottom to catch the Walleyes. Just a few days ago I went up by the Three Sisters and pulled some plugs and had some awesome success. I caught nothing but big Walleyes on TDD-9 Blue/Silver/Red Rapalas (here's the YouTube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0V-rHm_BTA). So, the question must be asked about the Nine Footer and the Twenty Nine Footer. I haven’t personally fished them this fall, but if there holding at the sisters, they might just be holding there also. If anyone heads up that way, please let me know how you do. You can purchase your Jigs, Frozen Shiners, Rapalas and Reef Runners from the same place that I get mine, Log Cabin Bait and Tackle, which is about ¾ of a mile south of the Wigwam on 172. Also, Tom’s Tackle, a local tackle making company makes all the jigs and spinners that I use and you can get your own Tom’s Tackle jigs and lures at Log Cabin Bait. Use what works for us on Lake of the Woods, “Tom’s Tackle”, a local company that know what works on Lake of the Woods. Keep checking out the fishing report, and I’ll give you all the hard facts as soon as I find out where they’re hiding next. Good luck and Happy Fishing to all! Thanks for fishing with us and visiting with us at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods.

My shout out today will go to the hard working employees of the Wigwam Resort. I would like to thank you personally for all your hard work this fall. Fall cleaning, while servicing customers, has gone off without a hitch this fall. In years past we just haven’t had the guest presence that we have seen this season, and everyone here has made it a great experience for all to enjoy. Thanks again to the entire Wigwam staff, we appreciate all your hard work and nothing goes overlooked.
Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman
Wigwam Resort
www.wigwamresortlow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment