Monday, December 21, 2009

Lake of the Woods Walleye Bite is Slow but Steady as We Enter the Christmas Holiday

Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. I just got off the lake for my second day of ice fishing in as many days, and the bit has slowed up a bit, but some are still bringing in some great numbers and pictures that back up the talk. I had the pleasure of meeting a number of new guests this past week from Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska and Minnesota. We had a great weekend of ice fishing and plenty of fun for all to enjoy. The best part of the weekend is that the Wigwam was filled to capacity…there was not one room available for 4 days, that’s what great fishing and excellent customer service/hospitality will do for you. I wanted to thank everyone for choosing the Wigwam Resort while they were visiting us on Lake of the Woods, and I hope everyone had a blast…there were a number of smiles at the checkout counter.

Yesterday I went fishing with my girlfriend (Jody), and as she pulled her poles out of her backpack, she was sporting the “Stop Sign” jig that everyone from Lake of the Woods is singing praises about these days. I had been waiting to see the “Stop Sign” in action for the past few weeks and it didn’t disappoint. Jody out fished me from start to finish, and that doesn’t usually happen. Maybe it was my subconscious letting her get all the fish…haha…I doubt it though. The “Stop Sign”, stopped the fish dead in there tracks and the proof is in the picture. Nice fishing Jody, way to show me up…haha.

Today I had the opportunity of fishing with a few of our guests, Shane Fukushima and Chris Sislo, whom are coaches with the Waterloo Blackhawks of the USHL (Waterloo, IA - where I started my Junior Hockey career back in 1993-94) and they were picking up a few fish, not a ton, but they were still having a blast just being in the element. As we sat and chatted about all the people that we played hockey with and were friends with in the hockey world, the names were very similar. Hockey makes this world very small and I feel so fortunate, now that I’m out of the game, to still have those relationships…I have truly been blessed.

As I stated in the title of this blog, the bite has been a little slower than we are used to up on Lake of the Woods this time of year, but I think that has to due with the temperature swing of 40 degrees (-20 to 20 above) we had last week. All the avid fisherman on Lake of the Woods say that it should get better here the next few days, so get ready to catch some fish!

The lures that have been working well are the “Stop Signs”, “Demons” and “Chubby Darters”. You want to be using anything that glows right now to get the best success possible…white, green and pink are the best!

Announcements…If you’re looking for some great ice fishing deals, checkout the current December specials we are offering on our website http://www.wigwamresortlow.com/. We are running a December special that will give you a discount on packages purchased for January and February 2010. The specials will only last through the rest of December…you can’t beat them! Also, every Vikings game this season, we will have drink special, specials on our bar dining menu, and prizes to give away. This will make for some pretty crazy Sunday afternoon/nights and Monday nights…LETS GO VIKINGS!!!!

Daily Fishing Report: Tonight should be partly cloudy early followed by cloudy skies overnight, low 4F with winds light and variable. Tomorrow we should have more clouds than sun, high around 20F with winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow night should be cloudy, low 11F with winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Wednesday we should see scattered snow showers during the morning, and then partly to mostly cloudy for the afternoon, high 24F with winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 30% chance of snow. Thursday should show us some snow showers in the morning, highs in the mid 20s and lows in the mid teens. Friday we should see a few snow showers, highs in the low 20s and lows in the low teens. This evening I had the opportunity to speak with a number of our guests as they come off the ice and I was able to pull a large amount of valuable information from them. Also I was able to get out and fish for the past few days, so now you will get a first had account of what I experienced. All the action is still taking place, west of Pine Island and north of Morris Point Gap. From 7 to 9 am you will want to be fishing in 10-14 feet of water and then after that move to 18 to 28 feet of water till 3 pm and then move back in to the shallows for the last evening bite. The fish have been moving out a little bit further every day. Another place to keep on the radar is Lighthouse Gap, right on the US/Canadian line in 24 to 28 feet of water. The lures showing the greatest success rate are the “Stop Sign”, “Demon” & “Chubby Darter” (all can be purchased at the Log Cabin Bait store approximately ¾ of a mile before the Wigwam on 172). Today the bite was a tad bit slow until I juiced up the “Stop Sign” with a little light so it would glow…not even 1 minute after I dropped it down the hole I had set the hook on my first Walleye of the day…nice. You will want to get anything that glows right now, whether it is white, pink or green. The ice thickness out there is currently 15-17 inches. We are still only recommending small vehicles only (Geo Trackers, etc.), 4 wheelers and snowmobiles out on the ice as of right now. I had the opportunity to speak with the people that maintain the road yesterday and they anticipate letting people out with larger vehicles after Christmas. We look forward to seeing all of you up here very shortly. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods…come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

My shout out today will go to all the guests that we had stay with us over the weekend. I would like to thank everyone for letting us show you our northern Minnesota hospitality while you stayed, dined, fished and visited the bar. All I heard this weekend were positive comments and I will be sure to share that with the entire staff. Thanks again for being such gracious guests and we look forward to seeing you all back again in the very near future.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier

No comments:

Post a Comment